• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Latest On Production Date: Q4 2016

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As I said in another thread, I'm selling my 2001 AWD Safari Cargo Van.
I figured out that the thing had cost me an average of $1.38 per mile to drive.
However, I bought a 5' x 8' 1200lb. GVW trailer and will be getting a hitch for a car.

I tried "just cars" for a few years.
Not being able to haul things on a whim drove me nuts.
I'm really wary of hooking anything to the back of my future Elio.
I'm thinking that the little beast just isn't designed with that in mind.

So for me, the Elio is going to be an "and" car.
But then, I've had a back-up vehicle most of my life.
I'm just about ready to do a serious house make-over.
And I've got two bikes that occasionally like to hitch a ride.

If I were an apartment dweller with limited parking...
Or were comfortable with a lessened sense of independence...
I could do the Elio as "the" car.

I haven't tried it, but there's just gotta be something wrong in taking a date out via tandem seating.

The van is on CL, but I've already got my winter beater ready.
I just picked up a 2000 Malibu for $650, had two brake lines put on it for $100.
I also picked up four Firestone Winterforce tires with about 300 miles on them for $150.
Sold the van.
The guy will do the paperwork and have it picked up tomorrow.
I also made the best stew I've made in years yesterday.
Woo-Hoo!

As you can probably tell, it doesn't take much to exite me these days.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What makes the Elio a motorcycle is it's classification as an enclosed trike, unless you don't feel a trike is a motorcycle. I will finally be able to ride a cycle, or drive a cycle with a degree of safety. I came so close to buying a Harley Trike a few years back, but just couldn't pull the trigger and write the check.

Own and ride motorcycles as looooong as you are able. The best connection of man and machine except for operating a skidsteer loader or an Ironman Suit.

A three wheel ride is nothing like and never will be like riding a two wheel motorcycle.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A three wheel ride is nothing like and never will be like riding a two wheel motorcycle.

Except maybe the carver one is close.
las%20mejores%20experiencias%20caver%20one%20nueva.JPG

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, what's the question?
So what's the difference between riding your standard 2-wheeled motorcycle and riding with a sidecar? I'm reading all these discussions that have to do with "trike" motorcycles -- is riding with a sidecar like riding a 3-wheeled motorcycle?

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So what's the difference between riding your standard 2-wheeled motorcycle and riding with a sidecar? I'm reading all these discussions that have to do with "trike" motorcycles -- is riding with a sidecar like riding a 3-wheeled motorcycle?

NO NO NO It's in a class of it's own, they do not handle anywhere like a traditional trike. It takes lots and lots of practice to be able to corner (bad habit of lifting the chair off the ground). A regular m/c conversion or VW trike are very stable. You just need to steer through the corners, not counter-steer like a 2 wheeler.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If it's set up correctly, it is close to the same. The power curve is different, and in city cornering is very different from a trike, but in a highway long distance ride it's not much different than a trike.
If it's setup incorrectly, you'll feel a pull or push from a side car that you wouldn't feel in a trike or bike.
A side car is a lot of weight attached to the side of your bike, so the bike has to have enough power to move it without being dragged down.

Top Bottom