• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Loss Of Luster

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good points. I a

It's certainly possible that the Elio Motors decision makers have said privately amongst themselves, "until gas prices get up above $n.nn, no sense in rushing to production". I'm not sure what that $n.nn might be, as a national avg, but that certainly is a viable business rule EM may have set privately. Ugh.

I stand by my prediction I made in March, that gas will avg $3.25+ in the U.S. on Jan. 1, 2016. I don't like the prediction, but it's my guess.

www.gasbuddy.com says in late January the natl avg bottomed out at $2.02, and 3 1/2 months later, today May 12, natl avg is around $2.66. Just for posterity, locally gas dipped below $2 briefly in January, is now at $2.45.
Gas prices have nothing to do with my fun factor desire to own and drive an Elio. I don't think current gas prices impact EM's decision making because they are working on an extended contract obligation to get hiring and building.

ternion

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the realistic date thing has been a tremendous problem for them. I have seen no evidence of an honest and comprehensive critical path analysis to determine production dates. Does Marketing even speak with the engineers/financing when they set their dates? I think the timing of their Marketing push was also poorly executed because those that would potentially be their best customers (early adopters) are getting burned out after being strung along for a couple years now.

The delay forced me to recently buy a 2002 VW Jetta TDI for $5,000 to tie me over until my Elio is ready. I am averaging 49 mpg with no hypermiling effort. With little effort, I can average 55 mpg, and at current diesel/gas prices in my area, that is an equivalent to ~62 mpg for gas. Substitutions aren't as far off from their numbers as they'd like to make you think. The more they push dates back, the heavier Elio will need to rely on the novelty factor to move their vehicles, which is not a very long term strategy.

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the realistic date thing has been a tremendous problem for them. I have seen no evidence of an honest and comprehensive critical path analysis to determine production dates. Does Marketing even speak with the engineers/financing when they set their dates? I think the timing of their Marketing push was also poorly executed because those that would potentially be their best customers (early adopters) are getting burned out after being strung along for a couple years now.

The delay forced me to recently buy a 2002 VW Jetta TDI for $5,000 to tie me over until my Elio is ready. I am averaging 49 mpg with no hypermiling effort. With little effort, I can average 55 mpg, and at current diesel/gas prices in my area, that is an equivalent to ~62 mpg for gas. Substitutions aren't as far off from their numbers as they'd like to make you think. The more they push dates back, the heavier Elio will need to rely on the novelty factor to move their vehicles, which is not a very long term strategy.
PE was pretty clear in his interview with KSLA 12 that it was his fault with the production dates because he didn't get it right when the funding would come through - his crystal ball was cracked. He did not suggest any fault with marketing, engineering, etc. I think the VW TDI is an awesome machine, I had one and just traded it in over the winter for a new V70 for my wife, and I took her old one. I am dubious about novelty per se, ever selling the Elio, the 1k gamble has always been more pragmatic about can Elio Motors get the funding to build a vehicle that meets their 4 Must-Haves. For me, it's all a bit like the old saw that aerodynamically a bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but since it doesn't know that, it just keeps on flying. It's entirely possible Elio Motors turns out to be just a slug. But for now, I see a bumble bee. :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
How long is the Parish that was promised 1,500 jobs going to allow Elio to keep pushing the date back?

according to prior info releases, they have an understanding based on mid 2016 .... I don't believe there have been any announced delays since that agreement was made

John Painter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
according to prior info releases, they have an understanding based on mid 2016 .... I don't believe there have been any announced delays since that agreement was made
Also, an important point I think which keeps getting missed is Elio Motors didn't promise Caddo Parish the jobs. The 1500 jobs were promised, under penalty for not delivering, to Racer Trust.

Top Bottom