• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Luggage Trailer

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've got a "surge brake" on the trailer I use to haul my dunebuggy. It works great. sometimes little hard to back "uphill" is the only problem.

It isn't cheap, but it is complete. Compatability
I have what is probably a crazy idea. What about tossing the traditional single-point hitch notion for a trailer in favor of a two-point hitch (either side of the rear wheel on the Elio) system? You would probably have to do some sort of dolly single wheel so that it would work on the turns and reversing. Doing that would either shift the wheel even further back (and thus put too much of the trailer weight on the toungue) or raise the center of gravity too much.... Unless you can make the "ball wheel" work.... hummmm

I pulled a similar trailer in 1990. It had a two point hitch with horizontal pins on the bumper and a castor wheel about 2/3 of the way back on the 4' x 4' box. The box was about 10" deep. On occasion, the castor would whip back and forth depending upon the load characteristics (usually unloaded), road surface, and speed. I don't remember an issue with backing. Probably because the castor radius was short. I don't think the design would be recommended for a single rear tire such as the Elio.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The general concensus is that single rear wheel is likely going to take a beating from from pot holes and road debris. Do you really want a single wheel trailer to take a beating as well? Have a look at my post #38 and outsydthebox reply in post #41 to get some of the details. I really see no advantage to a single wheel trailer but a number of disadvantages.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, if you guys are going to get complex and techy about this multipoint thing, you might consider the sidecar idea. It would be safer and more operational than overloading, and over designing the pulled trailer. With it's own suspension it won't hurt rollover, could also be fitted with any of the trailer brakes. In the case of supplemental power you could also fit one with EV augmentation. A power poster that only turned on at high pressure on the petal.

It would not be as aerodynamic, but at that point do you care so much? It would be robust enough to carry a kayak, bike(s) or even a small narrow/or/short boat. Driver line of sight being the issue of concern for boats. This would be safer for CG than a roof mounted boat.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Pillbug.jpg

The pill bug or rolly polly is a good model for both trailers and fenders.
Rolly Polly... We have a dog and when my wife goes out to the yard to pick up... detritus, beneath every pile is a ton of those bugs. My 6 year old now calls them poop bugs and won't let them crawl on her fingers. Bummer. They were always fun to watch crawling around.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Step 1. Get a regular hitch put on an Elio.
Step 2. Buy a Kayak for two.
Step 3. Get a trailer hitch (female side) and build attach point for it on the Kayak
Step 4. Get axle assembly that attaches to far end of Kayak
Step 5. Get one of those light setups that they use for towing vehicles and use that on the Kayak for lights.

You can load a little bit of stuff in the Kayak and when you get to your site, you have a boat!

Yeah, I know... IF THE KAYAK survives the road.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
OK, if you guys are going to get complex and techy about this multipoint thing, you might consider the sidecar idea. It would be safer and more operational than overloading, and over designing the pulled trailer. With it's own suspension it won't hurt rollover, could also be fitted with any of the trailer brakes. In the case of supplemental power you could also fit one with EV augmentation. A power poster that only turned on at high pressure on the petal.

It would not be as aerodynamic, but at that point do you care so much? It would be robust enough to carry a kayak, bike(s) or even a small narrow/or/short boat. Driver line of sight being the issue of concern for boats. This would be safer for CG than a roof mounted boat.

But wait, wouldn't a sidecar on an Elio make it into a four-wheeled vehicle? I mean, a sidecar on a bike makes it legally a trike (at least for endorsment purposes here in WA State). Or do you suppose the Elio driver would just need to get the sidecar endorsment like any other motorcyclist?

I do really like the idea of an Elio Sidecar though, for the starboard side. And for cargo-only!

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We don't need no stinkin add ons, just another door.
LOL, double lol, which reminds me. I had constructed a saddle bag configuration (3d image) once, but decided the side car(s) was safer.
However, a car mod with fully covered front wheels would safely add forward saddlebag area. I suppose it's possible to make that removable too.
Although what I have illustrated up to now is permanent(for electric drive).
large_thumbnail.jpg

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The general concensus is that single rear wheel is likely going to take a beating from from pot holes and road debris. Do you really want a single wheel trailer to take a beating as well? Have a look at my post #38 and outsydthebox reply in post #41 to get some of the details. I really see no advantage to a single wheel trailer but a number of disadvantages.
Well now, with a two wheeled trailer the tires sit in the gap between the rear tire and the front tires. This guarantees zero chance of missing pot holes. I think with a little experience I will be able to split the difference.

Top Bottom