• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Made In America

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
ouch... You don't think we still produce Jazz? Wait... Music Man will be upset next time he comes around.
We reproduce what we already heard. The new is gone or the new is diminished. At least for my taste.

Please note there is a musical joke here... and here.

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought the topic was things we STILL produced.
I think the current world economy is not as much a capital investment environment as it is an intellectual momentum 'synergy'.

An area not analyzed very well is how much services are exported vs imported. I don't know if the modern US is comparably very good at that, but it would be advisable to become very good at retaining skills in those areas and marketing them world-wide. We still do quite a bit of original engineering, but that one area is getting weaker in some cases. Especially around manufacturing engineering. We still market out quite a bit of mining engineering and equipment. We should make sure we have open opportunity to market that to the world. Restriction here will hurt us either way. We need to focus strongly on appropriate and applicable education to keep strong in it.

I think we may undervalue the effect of differentiation. That is, exporting out low profit low paid work and importing or retaining high profit high paid work. In effect only businesses that do that well can stay here for the long run. That builds a culture and community practice oriented to it. The US can be one of the strongest places where a intuition and motivation about such things can do well. i.e. the Elio.

For example. My bother had a creative idea. It involved some creative chemistry that reverses some standard scientific notions. Using his tech-skills he got it working and made it demo-able. He got attention from investors and now their product is making great progress in a totally new market. He has no personal profit right now but the company could be worth a few hundred million in a few years. Can this happen only in America? We should make damn sure it can continue to happen here. (I am not allowed to discuss it more than that)

I am also interested in some bigger pictures in exported manufacturing capacity.
1) Will this eventually cut immigration to here from Mexico? Will Mexico become the preferred destination for trained workers escaping world issues?
2) To some degree there is a leveling happening. Possibly as underdeveloped economies get stable and eventually robust, we'll see a change as to what comes and goes from our own. The process may be a very long one however.
3) If other countries become attractive destinations for our trained workers, is that good or bad for us? Argentina used to be low cost and high income for remote sourced IT professionals. Many went there and others trained and stayed there. Now apparently that has reversed and it's getting attractive for professionals to leave for other places. Costs being high and incomes not so much. They have reached some niche of that 'leveling'.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:mod::mod: WARNING, WARNING, POLITICS :mod::mod::mod:
Excuse me. If we're talking about Made in America, it can't be avoided at it's most basic level. It's like saying this thread is about coffee, but you can't discuss anything organic. The best we can do it keep it general rather than specific.

Last edited:
Top Bottom