• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Metal...body?

vietvetx2

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Tell that to my Ford F250. It would beg to differ. :boxing:

[PS - A huge Chrysler plant 'used to be' in Fenton, MO. and a Ford plant 'used to be' in Bridgeton, MO. a mile or so from Boeing, but a GM plant in Wentzville, MO did just reopen. Over half of the UAW workers in and around the St. Louis area now work at Boeing. :rip: the auto industry in the St. Louis area]
It is called the Rust Belt because of the salt used on the streets and highways in the Winter. There are huuuuuge salt mines under the City of Detroit.
it had nothing to do with the now abandoned factories. It was the rust belt when the Big Three and Detroit was king. VERY un PC joke when I was a kid...How can you tell a Polak's Corvette in a parking lot? It was the one with the Ziebart sticker. To any Polish friends out there; It was all fun in the 50-60s.
A Dago from Detroit

Chaz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is called the Rust Belt because of the salt used on the streets and highways in the Winter. There are huuuuuge salt mines under the City of Detroit.
it had nothing to do with the now abandoned factories. It was the rust belt when the Big Three and Detroit was king. VERY un PC joke when I was a kid...How can you tell a Polak's Corvette in a parking lot? It was the one with the Ziebart sticker. To any Polish friends out there; It was all fun in the 50-60s.
A Dago from Detroit

Not really, but if you want to believe that its ok with me.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tell that to my Ford F250. It would beg to differ. :boxing:

[PS - A huge Chrysler plant 'used to be' in Fenton, MO. and a Ford plant 'used to be' in Bridgeton, MO. a mile or so from Boeing, but a GM plant in Wentzville, MO did just reopen. Over half of the UAW workers in and around the St. Louis area now work at Boeing. :rip: the auto industry in the St. Louis area]

Yep. Those plants were big ones. The Chrysler plant is just a massive empty building. (was the last time I saw it). Everything is leaving St. Louis. That place is getting pretty crummy.

booboo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder what gage of steel for the outside panels will be used. They might have some sort of regulation of a gage they must use.
I think the standard stuff now-a-days is around 18-20ga,(That is what I get for thinking, Edited). My 58 chevy pickup was carved out of a solid block, that was some serious metal.
" Automotive sheet metal once ran in the range of 18-gauge, which was 48 thousandths of an inch thick (actually 0.0478 inch). 20-gauge became common in more recent times, and this meant 0.0359-inch-thick metal—still a lot to work with in-bumping and metal finishing. However, more recently, 22-gauge (0.0299-inch) has become common, and now 23- and 24-gauge (0.0269- and 0.0239-inch, respectively) have appeared on the scene under the euphemistic name, “high-strength steel.”
Resto Series Number 2: Sheet Metal Basics - Old Cars Weekly

Last edited:

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the standard stuff now-a-days is around 18-20ga,(That is what I get for thinking, Edited). My 58 chevy pickup was carved out of a solid block, that was some serious metal.
" Automotive sheet metal once ran in the range of 18-gauge, which was 48 thousandths of an inch thick (actually 0.0478 inch). 20-gauge became common in more recent times, and this meant 0.0359-inch-thick metal—still a lot to work with in-bumping and metal finishing. However, more recently, 22-gauge (0.0299-inch) has become common, and now 23- and 24-gauge (0.0269- and 0.0239-inch, respectively) have appeared on the scene under the euphemistic name, “high-strength steel.”
Resto Series Number 2: Sheet Metal Basics - Old Cars Weekly
I had a 57 plymouth that at certain speeds the sides would start to shimmy and shake and drop chunks of concrete on to the street. I guess The guy I bought it from was too cheap to use bondo on all that rust. LOL

Top Bottom