• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Model 3 Vs Elio

Sailor Dog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been fascinated by EVs for a long time, but never owned one because of the high cost and range anxiety. Now that battery cost is lower and range is greater it's become a viable 'and' vehicle choice for me and look forward to the experience. Do I think it's superior to gas powered awesome........no, but EV's have some personal advantages which I appreciate and am compelled to experience the minute I can afford and find one I like styling and performance wise.

Regarding your cost/benefit numbers comment, The voice in my head tells me the money I save on gas and routine maintenance over the lifetime of an EV like the SRK would pay for and or help to offset the cost of the vehicle over a 5 year period. When gas was $4.50/gal weekly filling my 15 gallon tank cost $67.50 X 52 weeks. Currently half that plus yearly routine maintenance. Gas prices are rising. Charging the EV with limited to no routine maintenance considerably less.

It's how I justify buying an EV for my personal use and won't know for certain until I have the experience. It could be the all time worst vehicle choice I ever made or best. I feel the same way about buying my Elio.
Agree but, no routine maintenance until you need to a replace the battery pack $$$!!! Also less durability with maintenance items such as brakes, tires, suspension, etc...due to the all the extra weight from the batteries. Tesla has been "exposed" by a "leading consumer magazine". Getting gas for most stops are a few minutes max, but then we gas and go!!!

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree but, no routine maintenance until you need to a replace the battery pack $$$!!! Also less durability with maintenance items such as brakes, tires, suspension, etc...due to the all the extra weight from the batteries. Tesla has been "exposed" by a "leading consumer magazine". Getting gas for most stops are a few minutes max, but then we gas and go!!!
Routine maintenance on an engine is required, possible cost to rebuild or replace the engine, transmission, cooling system, etc. over time. Also, the ICE has a battery to replace too........a pack of batteries over the lifetime of the vehicle. LOL.

My understanding is that batteries are being designed to allow for replacement of individual cells within the battery pack reducing the financial impact of the full replacement cost. I would expect the durability of brakes, tires, and suspension to be designed and specified to the weight of the vehicle to insure proper performance and handling. Time will tell if my EV's lifetime cost to operate will be less, more, or similar to my other vehicle purchases. Regardless, I like the technology, styling, performance specs and the idea of sustainable transportation. I'm a picky SOB and will be the first to complain if there are issues.

Also, time will also show my Elio's lifetime cost to own and operate.

A leading consumer magazine may have been critical of their previous Tesla consumer rating, but as I understand the article did say that Tesla owners are happy with their vehicle ownership experience.

Last edited:

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been fascinated by EVs for a long time, but never owned one because of the high cost and range anxiety. Now that battery cost is lower and range is greater it's become a viable 'and' vehicle choice for me and look forward to the experience. Do I think it's superior to gas powered awesome........no, but EV's have some personal advantages which I appreciate and am compelled to experience the minute I can afford and find one I like styling and performance wise.

Regarding your cost/benefit numbers comment, The voice in my head tells me the money I save on gas and routine maintenance over the lifetime of an EV like the SRK would pay for and or help to offset the cost of the vehicle over a 5 year period. When gas was $4.50/gal weekly filling my 15 gallon tank cost $67.50 X 52 weeks. Currently half that plus yearly routine maintenance. Gas prices are rising. Charging the EV with limited to no routine maintenance considerably less.

It's how I justify buying an EV for my personal use and won't know for certain until I have the experience. It could be the all time worst vehicle choice I ever made or best. I feel the same way about buying my Elio.
Perhaps your cost/benefit numbers will be different than mine. I hope your choice is a pleasant one and brings you the desired results.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's one thing that Tesla have not thought out yet when building their electric cars...I'm thinking about installing a LIGHTNING ROD/ANTENNA at the back of the car wired to the batteries so just in case I'm driving in a storm, one lightning bolt and ZAP, my batteries are charged and good for another 200 miles! LOL :doh::D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps your cost/benefit numbers will be different than mine. I hope your choice is a pleasant one and brings you the desired results.
Thanks. I'll let you know at a future Elio Rally. My process of analyzing and making a decision to pull the trigger and buy something is never really pleasant.......my wife accuses me of having analysis paralysis.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll let you know at a future Elio Rally. My process of analyzing and making a decision to pull the trigger and buy something is never really pleasant.......my wife accuses me of having analysis paralysis.
It would be interesting to see the differing electric rates around the country and factor in those differences for purposes of cost/benefit. At least tell us what rates are used when they tell us the MPG equivalent advertisement.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's one thing that Tesla have not thought out yet when building their electric cars...I'm thinking about installing a LIGHTNING ROD/ANTENNA at the back of the car wired to the batteries so just in case I'm driving in a storm, one lightning bolt and ZAP, my batteries are charged and good for another 200 miles! LOL :doh::D
Overhead wireless charging........courtesy of Mother Nature.............you may be on to something there.

Top Bottom