• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Mojave, Ca Tour Stop

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Today I went to the Mojave, CA experimental airplane fly-in where the P5 was on display. I have seen the P4 two times before and this was the third time I have seen the P5. I asked a few questions.

Q: Will an additional panel be mounted in the suspension opening? Some CAD drawings show this and other CAD drawings do not.

A: To be determined (TBD)

Q: Will the rear window hinge out?

A: TBD

Q: Will the hood be lockable:

A: TBD

Q: Will there be space in the front suspension so an additional coil-over shock can be added at a diagonal.

A: Unknown

Q: Will a key fob type of remote door lock/unlock be available?

A: Have not heard of this, but this ability will be possible using an app on the cell phone if Skyz is installed.

Q: Does the rear wheel door open up on the P5 for rear wheel access? (I know it will in the final design)

A: No

Q: Are there any pictures of the different stereo options?

A: No. This is available on the Elio Motors website.

Q: What do I look under on the EM website to find these stereo options?

A: MTX Radio.

Q: Will the exhaust bulge be modified for the final design.

A: No. The exhaust bulge design is final. How it is built on the P5 is how it will be on the final design. (I got this same answer from two different tour persons. I asked a second person because I was surprised .)

Jerome and Pam were suppose to be on tour until it goes into production. Due to the delays, they have been touring and living in an RV much longer than originally planned. Wow! And we think we get tired of delays.

I was told the 100 preproduction vehicles will be leased not sold. This means EM will get them back for evaluation.

At the LA Auto Show, I noticed the pedals (clutch and brake) were low such that the heels of my shoes drug on the floor and I could not completely depress them. The gear shifting lever was very difficult to move and I could not determine if I was in a gear or not. I thought this was because the vehicle was rushed to be put together in time for the LA auto show and expected these to be corrected on the P5. I was very surprised these problems had not been corrected. I assumed the shifting problem was a matter of linkage adjustment which a competent mechanic could correct in 15-30 minutes. The shifter and linkage probably came from the same company supplying the transmission. The shifter is visually attractive but has a short throw. Now I am worried there is a fundamental problem and the final product will have the same bad characteristics.

The pedals should have been cut off and welded closer to their proper height. There are thousands of competent welders in this country who could have done that.

The shifting linkage should have been adjusted. There are thousands of competent mechanics in this country who could have done that.

Clutch action, brake action, and shifting are fundamental to a vehicle. I can easily see people not making reservations because of the pedal and shifter problems. These will be considered indicative of the quality of the vehicle.

I had a very good conversation with Jerome. He was his usual pleasant self. (Did you know he formerly was a test driver for Audi? Impressive.)

It is claimed by EM, they are limited on what they can say because they are a publicly traded company. This may be true, but I suspect it is also used as an excuse to not say too much. There was a negative backlash that resulted from the LA Auto Show, because people expected the P5 to be much more finished. I can understand a reluctance by EM to make comments.
DSCI1636.JPG
DSCI1645.JPG
DSCI1648.JPG
DSCI1670.JPG

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Lot of gearheads on this site, I knew what it was right away too. :D

But why is there a DC-9 at the experimental plane fly in? (My favorite passenger plane of all time.)

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Mel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, but see the silver and blue cylinder at about the CG? That's a jet for radio-controlled aircraft. A big one. Presumably one on the other side too making it a twin-engine jet dragonfly.
Not a Dragonfly. It's a Quickie. Dragonfly is 2-place and quite a bit larger. 23' wingspan vs. 16' for the Quickie.

Top Bottom