• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Myelio.me Is Up & Running

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Aux-in + Pandora = :D

Had to replace a Toyota propriatary Radio/CD/Cassette monstrosity with an adapter, single DIN FM/AUX IN only and 4 new speakers for a grand total of $75.

Keep it simple.

Reactions: Ekh

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have (slightly) gotten around the problem by using a Jambox bluetooth / USB / speaker cord speaker, which has a microphone built into it. It's ALMOST small enough to fit where I need it without obstructing vision, but it's not quite loud enough, thanks to the increasingly loud road noise from my aging Forester (new ones are MUCH quieter). If I ever get my Elio, I really will want the bluetooth and maybe USB connectivity. Getting directions and listening to phone calls through my phone's speaker truly sucks.

In a quieter car, the Jambox would be fine. But it's never going to rock you world, if that's what you want. There are others out there, but they cost a bit more and tend to be bulkier.

I'd love to replace the whole stereo, but the installation process is something I've never been any good at, and that jacks the price substantially. Plus the car is a 2009, and I'm not sure it's worth spending the money on it -- I definitely would not do it if I could believe my Elio will be here in about 9 months. But I don't. sorry. Maybe eventually, but definitely not by the end of the second quarter of 2017, and probably not by year end 2017. If ever.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I listen to audiobooks constantly while driving. My older cars don't have built-in Bluetooth, or even an aux jack. And we didn't pay the extra $1,000 for the premium stereo in the new van, so that has an aux jack, but no Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth speaker that I stick on the dash to play my books. When I get my Elio, I will make sure that the stereo has Bluetooth built in.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I listen to audiobooks constantly while driving. My older cars don't have built-in Bluetooth, or even an aux jack. And we didn't pay the extra $1,000 for the premium stereo in the new van, so that has an aux jack, but no Bluetooth. I have a Bluetooth speaker that I stick on the dash to play my books. When I get my Elio, I will make sure that the stereo has Bluetooth built in.
I take it you can't just plug your phone into the aux jack and use the van's speakers instead. (This is what my daughter does) Back in the day, they used to make an adapter that looked like a cassette tape on one side but would plug into any headphone out port to let you listen to then (back then) brand new MP3 players or CD players. I had a little CD player holder in my car and would play my CDs through the little tape adapter in my car. Man, that used to suck.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I take it you can't just plug your phone into the aux jack and use the van's speakers instead.
Yes, I can do that in the van. I rarely, if ever, drive the van alone, though. 95% of my driving is back and forth to work by myself, in an older sedan. (Currently an old Hyundai Sonata.)

So, is it new functionality to the configurator that you can upload and download a configuration file for your selections? Unfortunately it appears to be a 49kb random string, and not a structured XML file.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes, I can do that in the van. I rarely, if ever, drive the van alone, though. 95% of my driving is back and forth to work by myself, in an older sedan. (Currently an old Hyundai Sonata.)

So, is it new functionality to the configurator that you can upload and download a configuration file for your selections? Unfortunately it appears to be a 49kb random string, and not a structured XML file.
I don't know about the XML file. Sorry. I have a 12V plug with a USB charge port that ALSO has an FM modulator and headphone cord that I may use if I end up with something that doesn't have Bluetooth though I'll probably make sure I get a radio that has Bluetooth if nothing else.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
There is one feature I have on my stock 08 Dodge Nitro system that I use all the time; INFO
So if you hear a song you like, but you've forgotten, or never knew the name, you can push INFO and it tells you song name and who's singing it.
Neat little feature. But the one thing the station I listen to does all the time, is play the songs just a little faster than normal.
If you compare it to vinyl, it would be like playing a 45 at 46 or 47.
Not enough to distort it, but just a beat faster. That way they can play more music in a short time.

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The RDS system has been providing that info (Title and artist) for quite a long time, if you have a stereo that supports it. It's been around since the early 90s. They've even used it to carry real time traffic alerts.

As for playing music faster, yeah, some station do that. WMMS in Cleveland used to refer to stations that do that as "baboon radio", and had a big marketing campaign built around it in the late 80s.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
The RDS system has been providing that info (Title and artist) for quite a long time, if you have a stereo that supports it. It's been around since the early 90s. They've even used it to carry real time traffic alerts.

As for playing music faster, yeah, some station do that. WMMS in Cleveland used to refer to stations that do that as "baboon radio", and had a big marketing campaign built around it in the late 80s.
Cool, this is the fist vehicle I've had that has it. Even my 07 Magnum didn't have it.

The station I listen to goes by the name of "Charlie" = KYCH and I think it's an all automated station, I've never heard a DJ on it.
But they play everything; one day it went from Black Sabbath to Don Ho to Def Leppard to Dean Martin to eagles to Led Zeppelin
So if you like music, it's the station to listen to; no boring DJ's, huge mix of everything all day long. Yes, they do have the occasional commercial or 6
And if you like, you can listen online - http://www.listenradios.com/en/charlie-fm/

Top Bottom