• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Options And Upgrades, Cruise Control, Etc...

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are pros and cons for the location of any instrument or control - but it seems we can get accustomed to just about anything.

For years, Toyota/Lexus put the cruise controls on a short paddle at about 4 o'clock on the steering wheel. It not only looked odd, but it was totally illogical.

But after a few years, and experience with several other cars, I found I miss that little paddle, and find myself unconsciously reaching for it in other cars. It may have been illogical, but it was a great idea - it "falls readily to hand" and you don't confuse it with any other control.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are pros and cons for the location of any instrument or control - but it seems we can get accustomed to just about anything.

For years, Toyota/Lexus put the cruise controls on a short paddle at about 4 o'clock on the steering wheel. It not only looked odd, but it was totally illogical.

But after a few years, and experience with several other cars, I found I miss that little paddle, and find myself unconsciously reaching for it in other cars. It may have been illogical, but it was a great idea - it "falls readily to hand" and you don't confuse it with any other control.

Subaru's got the same little paddle. Completely agree with your statement...little bump with the right-hand ring finger and you're in business.

hawg_ryder

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Looks like I'm in the minority on here which is interesting considering most of my searching turned up similar layouts.
My last two cars have been Hyundai
F2nNn0v.jpg

and Subaru
8H1C4IZ.jpg

Rentals have been Chrysler
kuJ44Yl.jpg

And Ford
lHk6N9V.jpg

and Dodge
TneaEMy.jpg

Honorable mentions include

Honda
Y1Gi7wc.jpg

Kia
h14avUG.jpg

Aston Martin
MaRgNRN.jpg

And the list goes on....

Those are all pretty kool n' all... But I kinda like this one... Whadya think? Of course the manual is apt to be a bit challenging but what the heck...
:D

f-16cockpit.jpg

DanS

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that would be great. A cruise control was the only thing I thought would be important to add on a vehicle with a 600 plus mile range.
Hey Mack, I agree with having cruise control. It was actually the only option I want on mine. Why would anyone want to add so many options and increase the cost of the true meaning of this vehicle (Great MPG at low cost)?

RevTriker

Elio Fan
Reaction score
for me, due to knee problems, a cruise control is a must .... a spare tire and tilt steering would be nice

Jim
Hi Jim,
Keeping weight down (so it can make the 49 city/84 highway threshold)may be tough if the Elio has to carry a spare, a possible work-around would be having "run flat" tires (as an option) so that you can make your way to the next town. For me, cruise control would be nice for long trips but since I will using it mostly as a commuter car can prob live without. A built-in alarm &/or low-jack system would be a nice add-on. Also the driver seat being able to recline as far as the stationary back seat will allow would be great for someone who wants to travel long distances, stopping for cat naps (instead of booking a motel room). Since we don't have a good idea how well insulated the car is from the cold (or how well the heater coil works) the heated seat may be a good solution also (prob need a test drive to know that one).
Kevin

Top Bottom