• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Other Technologies That Will Need To Adapt

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
4WD, like ABS and ASC is no substitute for driver intellect or responsibility. Hauling fairly large boat trailers up and down some rather iffy ramps taught me the skills I learned from friends who built swamp buggies down in the 'Glades: Once you spin, you're done. For some reason many people think you can floor the throttle and sheer wheelspin will move you forward . . . not so.

The trick is a large contact patch and slow application of power. Here an automatic transmission with its torque converter is your best friend whether you have two or four driving wheels. From a dead stop, put your vehicle in gear at idle. Slooooowly, imperceptibly advance the throttle. It's a good idea to hold the load with the brake pedal if you are on an incline you must climb upward. At about 1200 rpm the torque converter should stall and allow you to hold your vehicle without the brake. Now, with your door open, pick out a spot on the ground and watch it carefully for movement. Resist the temptation to add power, but just wait a few seconds. (Warning: this technique will fry a conventional clutch.) Within a half a minute or less, you will begin to creep forward. Don't add power, just let the torque converter do the work. You will slowly crawl to about a walking pace. Hold your throttle setting until you clear the slippery stuff. I know it's slow, but it's effective. If your drive wheels start to spin, stop and start over. Once traction is broken, it's gone - spinning your wheels in frustration is only going to bury you.

I've hauled a 5500-lb load up a steep boat ramp in snow with a 2WD IH Travelall - where guys in powerful pickups with 4WD were unable to pull small bass boats out of the water, I could pull a heavy 24' cabin cruiser. I wish I'd taken the bets I was offered, I could have bought that first K-20 Suburban a lot sooner. Trust me, the Tim Taylor approach - "MORE POWER" (followed by a series of man-grunts) - isn't the answer. It's not as spectacular as a full-on burnout, but it's a lot more effective . . . and a whole lot less embarrassing when it fails.

An auto-manual like the Elio will have won't respond well to this technique - you're probably better off with a manual transmission getting out of a slick spot in slippery conditions. I've pulled a lot of cars out of a snowbank by using minimal power and either a sensitive clutch foot or a serviceable torque converter, and the trick works well with either. Fortunately at only 1200 lbs, your Elio ought to be easy for a handful of people to drag out of trouble with their bare hands. ;)

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Three years ago in UK we had an exceptional snowfall (exceptional for UK, that is). I put my trials tyres on the back axle of my little car and took a rope and a shovel and went off into the Peak district. I spent Christmas Eve up there, just seeing how far I could get up the snowy hillsides. I found I could out climb most 4 x 4s. Good grip from the tyres, coupled with light weight and only 40 hp were the key factors.

I arrived at the beginning of one little road to find almost two feet of snow. I began to pick my way along it, only to see a farm tractor and trailer coming the other way. I had to reverse a quarter of a mile to a gateway to let him past. The farmer pulled in alongside me and said I wouldn't get up the road. I thanked him but carried on. I got over the hill and began down the other side, to find that the snow had given way to sheet ice where a stream ran down and across the road. A Land Rover Discovery was in a gateway near the bottom with its engine running and I presumed the driver was just setting off from the house opposite. I went to the end of the road and was waved down by a Swedish man walking a dog (he was visiting his daughter who lived nearby) because he wanted to ask me about my car (not unusual). After a ten minute conversation I decided to try to get back up the hill in the opposite direction, up the ice. My little car did it, without too much wheelspin. But on my way up, I saw the Land Rover was still in the gateway and then passed the driver who had obviously given up trying to get out and was now walking up the hill!

But then, this is what we used to do as kids, as soon as we had driving licences and it snowed, off we went! Probably one of the reasons I still enjoy my competitive off-road trials.

LonePine

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Hey, I easily remember when there was much uproar by many, many of the "experts", that there was absolutely no market for a computer made for the individual. The Elio is affordable, coast to coast, any time of the night or day, any part of the year transpotation for, guess who, again ? The individual. Hope to see you out there friend. Have a good tomorrow.

Last edited:

HHH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey, I easily remember when there was much uproar by many, many of the "experts", that there was absolutely no market for a computer made for the individual. The Elio is affordable, coast to coast, any time of the night or day, any part of the year transpotation for, guess who, again ? The individual. Hope to see you out there friend. Have a good tomorrow.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of Digital Equipment Corp., 1977
Now we have smart phones in our pockets that have thousands of times more computing power than what was on Apollo 11 that landed on the moon!

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think this is appreciated enough. A well-functioning human brain, aware of its surroundings and cognizant of its own limitations and the limitations of its vehicle is far more important than any other feature.

When I was in high school, I worked at a ski resort as my part time job. On the way to work riding the resort's worker bus, I would see 3-4 fresh vehicles stuck in the ditches each morning, and one or two from the week before. Guess what? They were 90% 4x4, jacked up pickem-up trucks. Rarely did a front wheel drive car get stuck in a ditch. Another time, I had a job as a paperboy. One morning, I awoke to 3 feet of freshly dumped powder snow. On the last leg of my route, I watched a 4x4 get himself MORE stuck by trying to race out of the drift that trapped his rig. Then, a HUMONGOUS 4x4 (must have been 12 feet tall) came by to tow his buddy out. Meanwhile the beatnik neighbor with his espresso went to dig out and start his VW bug to warm it. 10 minutes later, as the two 4x4's got themselves hopelessly stuck and there was much cursing, the little beatnik with his coffee and bagel walks out to this black 1970 Beetle and simply drives off with no muss/fuss/or worry. God, I laughed so hard, I think the crazy rednecks wanted to kill me.
A quote from Harry Callahan is something that comes to mind, " A man's GOT to know his limitations." It drives me around the bend when people (probably mostly guys) drive their monster 4x4s at full speed limit or faster on snow packed or icy roads. It seems they don't realize that physics is not just a good idea, it's the law! As long as I'm not part of that whole learning process!

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Go to the PEP Boys, they will know what to do.

satire ? .... there are 3 Pep Boys near our home .... within the last couple of weeks I have stopped at all three .... highest ranking people I talked with were assistant managers .... none had ever heard of an Elio .... none have tire alignment machines that can handle the single rear tire of an Elio .... hopefully that will change

Jim

Jay3wheel

Elio Addict
Reaction score
satire ? .... there are 3 Pep Boys near our home .... within the last couple of weeks I have stopped at all three .... highest ranking people I talked with were assistant managers .... none had ever heard of an Elio .... none have tire alignment machines that can handle the single rear tire of an Elio .... hopefully that will change

Jim

I didn't think they would know today, but they should know by the time vehicles are needing service....

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim

me too just happen to stop by, figured an oil change on my honda will give me a sense of service and customer relations.
disappointment sums it up. Was wondering if they are a franchise? told me I needed synthetic oil (not) first clue, and $42 for an oil change was high. Little showing in the bays/work area- batteries/tires, but I know ( from Firestone), a phone call and parts/tires, get there very quickly (didn't mention the Elio) My big q are some/all/any franchises ?
thanks

Top Bottom