• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

P4 Pictures

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The latest design with regard to the placing of the headlights may mean the Elio won't be legal in UK. The design requirement is for headlights to be no more than 400mm from the extreme outer edge of the vehicle. It looks like they don't comply, whereas the previous design, with the lights in side pods, probably would.

I don't mean to sound "uncaring" but, I think it will be a few years before the Elio will be available "across the pond." I don't claim to know how your legal system works over there, but here in the States, the laws can be "amended". Sometimes tho, they seem to simply be "overlooked." Example: Several years ago, I was contemplating building the R.Q. Riley "XR-3". The question on the discussion boards was about "rear view mirror" placement. The "written law" clearly stated: ..."mirrors must be mounted on the handlebars"...Well, the XR-3, (like the Elio) 1.) doesn't have handlebars. And 2.) The mirrors are mounted on the body! It was quickly pointed out that (just one example) the "Honda GoldWing" Is clearly in violation, as the mirrors are mounted on the body (faring).
Only time will tell, If the P4 headlight will work in the UK. I DO think that EM is capable of making is happen...when the time comes.

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Elio will have to undergo a Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test, as do all low volume imported two and three wheelers. The rules are cast in stone. Without an MSVA test compliance certificate, it will not be possible to register the Elio in UK.

However, If the MSVA pass certificate can be obtained, there would be nothing to stop anyone personally importing an Elio and using it here.

I built a car which was required to comply with the four wheeler equivalent of the MSVA test (SVA as it was then, it's now known as the IVA test). I have the testers' manuals for these tests, which is how I know about the requirement (they are now available online). Having seen the recent changes to the shape of the P4, I specifically checked this out because it could be a "show stopper".

The only way round these tests is for the manufacturer to achieve full UK (read European) Type Approval, which includes crash testing

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Elio will have to undergo a Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test, as do all low volume imported two and three wheelers. The rules are cast in stone. Without an MSVA test compliance certificate, it will not be possible to register the Elio in UK.

However, If the MSVA pass certificate can be obtained, there would be nothing to stop anyone personally importing an Elio and using it here.

I built a car which was required to comply with the four wheeler equivalent of the MSVA test (SVA as it was then, it's now known as the IVA test). I have the testers' manuals for these tests, which is how I know about the requirement (they are now available online). Having seen the recent changes to the shape of the P4, I specifically checked this out because it could be a "show stopper".

The only way round these tests is for the manufacturer to achieve full UK (read European) Type Approval, which includes crash testing
Having read everything I can find about the Elio I am comfortable in saying if Paul Elio decides to take this vehicle to Europe he will do everything within his power and price points to make it acceptible. That is what he has done here and where laws were illogical as far as safety and compliance, he and his staff have worked to get them amended. Of course the current plan is USA first, then Canada and Mexico and then beyond. I have confidence this will happen in time. This is simply to good an idea to let it simply fall to the wayside because of details. :-) Z

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have noticed there are some key chassis components missing from the P4 chassis in this new picture as compared to the crash simulation below.

- The the right side cross members to reinforce where a right side door would be in most cars. Also the left side door frame.
- The left and right upper front fender supports
- The upper and lower windshield cross members.

These items may have been installed afterwards, even though it is strange to paint the chassis without them installed, however either way I would expect these items to in the final vehicle.

These pictures do however show it should not be a big deal to install a glass roof or sunroof over both the driver and passenger seats.

[Broken External Image]
[Broken External Image]

Jambe

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Notice the larger rear tire. And those aren't 145s on the front.

After reading the new thread "Tires" (08/07/14) I may have to backtrack on saying those tires are not 145s. The TireRack link says the 145s have 5.2 inches tread width. Can't measure them so can't really say. They are definitely not the same tires as in the TireRack link though. :)

CGWheels

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Being the "nerd" (sorry) that I am, I think the wheel covers could use some work to look better. But I'd drive it as-is...at least until the aftermarket stuff comes out.

I foresee a slew of aftermarket products like a new front grill, a front spoiler, redesigned wheel pants, Perhaps a side body kit too. I can see it with a Sirius radio antenna on the roof, a rear spoiler and different mirrors, yep all that will probably kill mileage on the highway, but it will happen. For the techno crowd, someone will design a new dash with glove compartment on top, a better stereo, built in GPS, multiple power ports, a phone shelf and back up cameras. I have no idea where they will put the sub woofer, but it will happen. The power guys will turbocharge it and install a hood with a cool little bump just to tell the world they have "more power". The cruisers will air bag it. And someone, somewhere will put tiny decals of gas pumps on the side for each gas pump they pass up. :)
I am already working on gas pump template for mine. Though I imagine I am going to run out of room REALLY fast. :-)

Top Bottom