• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Paul Elio Chat On Fb

Buddy Hatfield

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Both time I miss it. But you are right the question I saw were dumb, the same question that if they would read the post they would all ready know. I would like some one to ask about the new prototype and maybe the new schedule. Robert the time is 9:00am Est time correct.

RickDeckard

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Dec 5th Michael Simon, VP of Strategic Marketing & Planning at Cooper Tire w Paul Elio
What size and types of tires are going on the front and back… do you have a link?
We're under development. It has not been finalized.
Paul: That is one of the great things about having Cooper Tire on board that it is now a variable that ensures us achieving our objectives.
This is not really tire related but more on wheels ... what will be the bolt pattern?
Paul: It'll be 15 inch, 5 bolt pattern It's under development, it's not finalized yet. However, we do know it's going to be a 15 inch rim.
How is the rear tire accessed for changing purposes?
Paul: It drops off just like the fender skirts used to on a mid 60s vehicle.
Tow package
Paul: The tow option is one of the more requested options we're looking at, but have not committed to it. I'm sure the after-market will accommodate that.
Service parts;
Paul: We're in discussions with several large service providers and we'll hopefully be able to announce a partnership soon.
Snow and ice buildup in fender
Paul: It's something we'll have to test for, but we don't think it'll be at a substantial disadvantage to other vehicles.
You have any plans on creating a classic version of the elio? (Rounded edges like the 1960 volkswagen beetles with whitewall tires and solid wheel covers?
Paul: Part of the beauty of Elio Motors is the simplicity of only offering standard and automatic. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow for cool options like you're describing - there's always the after-market!
Spare tire
Paul: Spare tires with all the bells & whistles adds over $100 to the sticker price. Several other mainstream vehicles have gotten away without providing a spare standard and we are investigating that.
Headlights and final location
Paul: Looks like you'll have to wait and see on Jan 14 when our new prototype comes out!
New prototype
Paul: You'll certainly recognize the new prototype as an Elio. There has been many tweaks to influence the aerodynamics to achieve 84 mpg. Thanks for being a supporter!
Cooper tires will be manf
Mike: It'll be manufactured in the US.
Vehicles to general public
Paul: I think we will probably sell out the first year of production before we produce the first vehicle.
With all optimizations maximized, no ac, you think it's feasible to breach the 95mpg barrier on the elio? (eg at 40 mph)
Paul: To achieve a 84 mpg EPA sticker rating, the Elio will get over 95 mpg on a flat highway at 65 mph.
Snow
Paul: It's front engine and FWD so 70% of your mass and all of your traction action happen over the front 2 wheels. In snow performance, it doesn't matter if you drag 1 or 2 wheels.
Mike: The tire will be an all-season tread design.
Watch it being built
Paul: Thank you and all of the members of your organization. If the lawyers were to allow it, I would love to let owners of the vehicle watch it be made and picked up at the plant.
Cost
Paul: We are currently within $300 of our published sticker price and we will continue to work to achieve it.
Cup holder
Paul: There is at least 3
Helmet and mc endorsement
Paul: So far we have successfully gotten the law changed in every state attempted. The American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) made a recommendation for states to adopt a law similar to that what was passed in Michigan and Louisiana. If you go to their website, the video summarizing the recommendation has Elio video throughout.
Nay-sayers
Paul: All you have to do to create nay-sayers is to do something. As you know we've been making great progress and that is ultimately how to prove nay-sayers wrong. However, there are certainly many more folks that support us and we really appreciate the strong following from all of you!

Buddy Hatfield

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Thank you Rick, for your summation on what went on with the talk between Paul Elio and the rest of us. It was really good to be able to ask questions to Paul and get answers from Paul himself. And see the questions others asked and the replies Paul Elio gave to them.

Top Bottom