• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Polaris Slingshot

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why voltage? Does that really matter any more? Alternators are pretty reliable now and I haven't seen a voltage fluctuation in probably 15 years. That gauge may as well be a sticker in my vehicles. Perhaps I'm missing something.

I just had an alternator problem and it was much easier to diagnose with an ammeter than it would have been with a idiot light. In fact, I had a rebuilt alternator installed and that allowed me to get home before it failed so I used the meter twice in two days. The beauty of this device is that it can monitor the 4 parameters that YOU think are most important. Sounds like my settings may be different than yours. If you start having problems with your vehicle you can change to a setting that may help you figure out what is wrong. As far as the expense of the device. I don't have a smart phone and have no interest in getting one so the ScanGauge is the cheapest alternative for me.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a smartphone, you can do it a LOT cheaper:
$10-20 OBDII bluetooth adapter (You can get them as cheap as $5, if you want to play it risky. I spent $20 for mine.)
$5 Torque app for your smartphone or tablet
$5-10 for a phone mount

You could easily do it for $25 if you already have the phone. Plus Torque is fully configurable, and programmable. Highly graphical, and can create charts, graphs, histograms, gages, dials, numerical readouts, etc., as well as make trip recordings. There are quite a few themes you can download and select to match your desired style. Since it's on your phone it's easily portable between vehicles, and you can have different profiles for each vehicle.

I have seen some very nice setups from people using 7-10" tablets mounted in their vehicles. Takes the place of the super-expensive navigation/entertainment systems they put in the expensive cars.
This is what EM should offer in place of the Skyz System; throw in a 7" of 10" tablet and you can do it for under $500 and make money on it.
The problem comes it is who and how do you support it?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can understand personal experience making a person want to monitor the stat that let them down.

On a related topic to the gauge (not the ACTUAL forum topic :rolleyes:), how much longer do we even need most gauges or ANY idiot lights. If the sole purpose of an idiot light is to take up space until some day illuminating, why not get rid of it altogether and just make a simple small screen that lights up the appropriate color with the appropriate message like "Alternator output too low" or "Idiot ahead who can't figure out turn signals" Okay, maybe not that last one...:rolleyes:

MrWhsprs

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used Torque on my Android phone also, but overall still prefer the SGII (ScanGaugeII). We have two of them, one for each vehicle. I think when I first got a ScanGaugeII many years ago I didn't have a smartphone, and at the time the SGII was the best option for the capability, much cheaper and more convenient than special 'scan tool' software running on a laptop in the passenger seat. :-) Given the cost of the SGII though, when it was time to get another one I bought one used off eBay.

The SGII is always attached and powers on/off automatically. No possibility of forgetting the OBD BT adapter (I vaguely recall that some of them cause parasitic power drain; don't want to have a dead battery if I forget to remove it and the vehicle sits for a while). So with the SGII there's no need to attach the OBD BT adapter, unlock a phone/tablet, run the app, make sure the app connects to the BT adapter and the car, then start driving... and then have to do the opposite when at the destination. Also sometimes smartphones don't behave properly, apps crash, batteries get low, etc.

In addition to all of the 'built-in' gauges in the SGII you can program 20+ additional gauges, including manufacturer-specific or vehicle-specific ones, using the X-Gauge feature. I programmed each SGII we have with a number of XGauges specific to each vehicle, including some pretty neat ones for our Ford Escape Hybrid. The SGII has a bunch of built-in 'trip computer' info, fuel economy info. The SGII also scans for, and can clear, trouble codes. That has helped us out numerous times.

Critter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like that last statement.
Either the turn signal is never used, or they never get turned off. Being in the left turn lane on an exit ramp, with the right turn signal on.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used Torque on my Android phone also, but overall still prefer the SGII (ScanGaugeII). We have two of them, one for each vehicle. I think when I first got a ScanGaugeII many years ago I didn't have a smartphone, and at the time the SGII was the best option for the capability, much cheaper and more convenient than special 'scan tool' software running on a laptop in the passenger seat. :-) Given the cost of the SGII though, when it was time to get another one I bought one used off eBay.

The SGII is always attached and powers on/off automatically. No possibility of forgetting the OBD BT adapter (I vaguely recall that some of them cause parasitic power drain; don't want to have a dead battery if I forget to remove it and the vehicle sits for a while). So with the SGII there's no need to attach the OBD BT adapter, unlock a phone/tablet, run the app, make sure the app connects to the BT adapter and the car, then start driving... and then have to do the opposite when at the destination. Also sometimes smartphones don't behave properly, apps crash, batteries get low, etc.

In addition to all of the 'built-in' gauges in the SGII you can program 20+ additional gauges, including manufacturer-specific or vehicle-specific ones, using the X-Gauge feature. I programmed each SGII we have with a number of XGauges specific to each vehicle, including some pretty neat ones for our Ford Escape Hybrid. The SGII has a bunch of built-in 'trip computer' info, fuel economy info. The SGII also scans for, and can clear, trouble codes. That has helped us out numerous times.
Is this what you were talking about?

ScanGauge II by Telematica

For what it does, I think I would look into this instead HUD display w/OBDII adapter

Looks like it will do everything the ScanGauge II does, but it's only $40

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is this what you were talking about?

ScanGauge II by Telematica

For what it does, I think I would look into this instead HUD display w/OBDII adapter

Looks like it will do everything the ScanGauge II does, but it's only $40

The way I read the customer reviews this item sucks. 4 of the last 5 reviews were 1 or 2 stars. One guy got one that didn't work. He sent it back and got another one that did not work. One guy got one that only the voltmeter worked. The ScanGauge gets much more positive reviews. Like a hundred bucks more positive.

Top Bottom