• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Potholes

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
you will just need to straddle them off center instead of centering

While I agree with ElioDigger, and I believe within about 30 minutes of driving an Elio you'll adapt to "avoiding" most of the potholes, all of my driving is done in the dark (4am) on the way to work, and dark on the way home from now until April (stupid daylight savings time!), so the potholes come up on you pretty quick at 70 mph. Not worried about it, but it will be interesting to see how she handles the bumps.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
you will just need to straddle them off center instead of centering

unfortunately, I've have a friend who wrecked his car swerving while trying to dodge a pothole .... if you have time and space, I believe with an Elio it would be best to steer so as to miss the pothole with the front tires .... if you can do so and also miss with the rear tire, that is a best case scenario .... if you have to hit with one tire, the rear is the one I'd go with .... my rationale is from the pictures I've seen the rear tire mount looks to be much stronger than the front .... the front tires would be more likely to be knocked out of line than the rear .... if you blow a tire on an Elio, I'd much rather it be the rear

Jim

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As we were driving the other day, my husband swerved to avoid a pothole. Potholes are a fact of life, unfortunately. With Elio's three-wheeled design, are any of you concerned about potholes and the potential damage one can do to the rear wheel? Will potholes be a major problem for the Elio? I'm curious to know what your thoughts are regarding this issue. Carolyn
Jay Leno has a few three wheelers and made the comment that when driving a three wheeler and you encounter a pothole one of the tires will hit it.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
unfortunately, I've have a friend who wrecked his car swerving while trying to dodge a pothole .... if you have time and space, I believe with an Elio it would be best to steer so as to miss the pothole with the front tires .... if you can do so and also miss with the rear tire, that is a best case scenario .... if you have to hit with one tire, the rear is the one I'd go with .... my rationale is from the pictures I've seen the rear tire mount looks to be much stronger than the front .... the front tires would be more likely to be knocked out of line than the rear .... if you blow a tire on an Elio, I'd much rather it be the rear

Jim
Good post.
Elio at 1,200# = 400# on back tire.
Other small car at 2,400# = 600# on back tire.
Are your chances of a blow out on the same pothole less with an Elio?
Just put a wheeie bar under the nose.:)

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
As we were driving the other day, my husband swerved to avoid a pothole. Potholes are a fact of life, unfortunately. With Elio's three-wheeled design, are any of you concerned about potholes and the potential damage one can do to the rear wheel? Will potholes be a major problem for the Elio? I'm curious to know what your thoughts are regarding this issue. Carolyn

Hi Carolyn, yes it will take some getting used to and some skill, to avoid a pothole in a 3-wheeler. Am I concerned? No. As an example, yesterday I was driving my car, and I see some debris in the road as I'm going 70 mph on a 2-lane highway. I checked in front of me, no cars coming, so I went into the other lane to avoid what turned out to be large pieces of a blown tire.

Of course IF a semi was coming in the other lane, and IF it's raining, and IF it's dark, and IF a car was in front of me and I didn't see the tire chunk until it was 50 yds away... you get my point. Someone can always come up with a scenario where the 3-wheeled car won't be able to avoid a pothole or debris. But in normal circumstances, if you have your eyes on the road, and you see a big pothole, you do what you can to avoid it. If you absolutely are forced to drive over it at 45 mph, then you pick your poison, put one front wheel inside edge on the outside of the pothole, then swerve to the opposite side once the front wheel is past it.

Last edited:

Karg

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Das image is sidewalk art like: (but looks real, huh!)
top05.jpg

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
FYI

three wheelers have THREE WHEELS !

you will quickly learn to straddle those potholes, then do a little wiggle to avoid the rear wheel thump

I am blessed to have been driving around with three wheel vehicles for 20 years, quite by accident after I sold the Harley (back surgery)

plain and simple, THEY ARE FUN !!

forget all the sales pitch

forget the gas mileage

forget the cost (?)

three wheel vehicles are a FUN way to get from point A to B

only one of my three wheelers had reverse, the Trihawk, which I sold last year

now I plan properly so I do not need reverse

the Grinnall Scorpion only weighs 800# and with 135HP engine, it is a rocket ..it CAN have reverse if you either want to forfeit one forward gear OR use the K12LT engine which uses the electric starter for reverse…

not a big deal

you do NOT need power steering, it would be overkill

the Elio IS A MOTORCYCLE…does it NEED wipers ??

what if the government decides to close the loophole ? I honestly do NOT understand how it has been open so long …three wheels is a "motorcycle" ??

go figure

I am looking at the new Polaris Slingshot, actually has a Ford Ecotec engine ? AWESOME ! a dependable reliable available engine ! AMERICAN MADE ! is someone asked me I would GLADLY pay an additional $1000. for that engine !

OMG

think about that dependability ! a good solid American made engine that would drop right in and be serviceable anywhere in the USA !!

THAT WOULD BE A SERIOUS SELLING POINT !

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom