• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Reservations: 65341 As Of 6/20/2017

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone that has Win10 finds out that they force you to use Edge (the new MS browser).
Win10 does include IE 11 but I've tried a number of times to make it default and it won't hold the settings: Edge is almost an internal part of Win10 and gives you a hint on how MS is going to build it's OS in the future.
Can & do use Chrome. I Use
Edge when Chrome isn't
compatible.....

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Can & do use Chrome. I Use
Edge when Chrome isn't
compatible.....
I have Win10 and I had to use Chrome for configuring Netgear Routers; Edge and IE won't allow the Netgear interface to appear, Chrome will.
But how many people actually know to go out and install Chrome? Chrome does work well, but there are just enough "different" items to make it a little balky for me.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have Win10 and I had to use Chrome for configuring Netgear Routers; Edge and IE won't allow the Netgear interface to appear, Chrome will.
But how many people actually know to go out and install Chrome? Chrome does work well, but there are just enough "different" items to make it a little balky for me.

Don't have Win 10 yet ..... Thank God ..... Still using Win 7 or Linux.
I run Firefox on both.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't have Win 10 yet ..... Thank God ..... Still using Win 7 or Linux.
I run Firefox on both.
Here-here! I've had to shut off automatic updates to keep Microsoft from pushing Windows 10 down my throat. I like Win7, and I use a lot of older games that don't function on Win10.
And I like the built-in spell checker on Firefox. You can tell when I'm posting at work, because my spelling is lacking.

John-b-gone

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Windows 10 does not include "Windows Media Center" for me it's the poor mans cable. I bought a USB digital ATSC TV tuner: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10810&cs_id=1081002&p_id=6456&seq=1&format=2 Plug that into an unused port on a Win7 computer and the other end to any kind of antenna and you've got off air HD TV. On top of that WMC turns your computer into a DVR complete with 10 day advanced program guide. In Denver I could pick up 80+ stations, in COS I can only get 17. They're going to have to pry Win7 out of my cold dead hands:listening_headphone

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I do not condone the removal of Win10; nor does this represent opinions or suggestions from Elio Owners

Turn your updates back on, you do need those.
Here's what you can do to stop Win10 upgrade:

1) In Win7 to stop the Win10 notification; go into your Installed Updates and do a search for KB 3035583
Once you locate it, highlight it and click "Uninstall"; that will remove the update that you already have.
You also have to go into your C: drive and delete the folder named GWX

2) Windows registry

Important Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restoration in case problems occur.

For non-Enterprise versions of Windows, the notification icon can be suppressed through the Windows registry. To do this, set the following registry value:

Subkey: HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx
DWORD value: DisableGwx = 1

3) Short version of above:
You can allegedly prevent GWX.exe execution if you do not want Windows 10 by setting the following registry value: 1. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx 2. Create a new REG_DWORD registry value called: DisableGwx 3. Give it a value of: 1

Do this at your own risk and responsibility; these are reprints of articles found on Tech Net and other sites on the internet.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
To be clear, I manually install updates periodically. I'm just waiting for the "Free Windows 10!" thing to be over with.
Then you have a very long wait; once they stop the free Win10 upgrade the only OS will be Win10 that you have to pay for.
Win10 is actually pretty good; it took me about a week to get used to it and now I find Win7 a little clunky.
Especially at startup; Win10 take 1/3 the time to start compared to Win7

slinches

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The problem with 10 isn't the interface, it's the extensive tracking and privacy invading "features".

That's one of the reasons why I use Linux. If a distribution decides to add in tracking or ads, people will quickly find that out and I can switch to another one.

Top Bottom