• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Safety : More Driver-side Impacts

JN2Wheels

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This just occurred to me, so maybe I'm a bit behind the curve. It is pretty obvious that, in a traditional car, a driver side impact is potentially more dangerous for the driver than a passenger side impact. So, from a statistical perspective, there are a significant portion of side impacts where a normal car offers additional clearance before damage reaches the driver. With the Elio, this is no longer the case. Now, all side impacts are driver-side impacts. Ouch... Even with front and two side airbags. So, from a purely statistical standpoint, the five star protection is potentially undercut a bit by the higher occurrence of "driver-side" impacts. Thoughts?

WAYNE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I understand that the door and sides are reinforced and airbagged. Without that there is no way to get 5 stars crash test. I ride motorcycles and believe me there is no safety restraints on that. I will feel better and safer in the Elio.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This just occurred to me, so maybe I'm a bit behind the curve. It is pretty obvious that, in a traditional car, a driver side impact is potentially more dangerous for the driver than a passenger side impact. So, from a statistical perspective, there are a significant portion of side impacts where a normal car offers additional clearance before damage reaches the driver. With the Elio, this is no longer the case. Now, all side impacts are driver-side impacts. Ouch... Even with front and two side airbags. So, from a purely statistical standpoint, the five star protection is potentially undercut a bit by the higher occurrence of "driver-side" impacts. Thoughts?

You are correct if this was a car, however this is a motorcycle, the odds of an impact are the same as with any other motorcycle, only in the case of the Elio your chances of coming out for the better, is much greater even without the side air bags. JMO

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
5-star crash rating means very little, except to maybe reduce insurance premiums. In a hard side impact, the airbags really function to just keep you in the seat, so they don't have to search a 100' radius from the impact site for your body. LOL
If you want major automobile safety, buy an early '70s Olds, Buick, Caddy, etc and get ~14mpg highway. It's a compromise that needs to be considered prior to purchase.

Zipper

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering the relatively low mass of the Elio and that there are only 3 lightly loaded contact patches, I believe any impact will result in much greater displacement of the entire vehicle away from the impacting object than you would expect if it were a heavier vehicle. Worst case impact scenario would be the case where the Elio is 'pinched' between two very large vehicles. As motorcycle rider, I'm always vigilant regarding vehicles approaching from the rear, especially when stopped in traffic. I always leave room between myself and the vehicle in front of me to dart to the side if necessary. I may not completely avoid a collision, but at least I won't be caught between vehicles.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is it possible that the 5 star rating was based on motorcycles?

I don't think they crash test motorcycles...... On a motorcycle if you're going above 40mph, odds of surviving are slim whereas a car has a decent chance of surving

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Considering the relatively low mass of the Elio and that there are only 3 lightly loaded contact patches, I believe any impact will result in much greater displacement of the entire vehicle away from the impacting object than you would expect if it were a heavier vehicle. Worst case impact scenario would be the case where the Elio is 'pinched' between two very large vehicles. As motorcycle rider, I'm always vigilant regarding vehicles approaching from the rear, especially when stopped in traffic. I always leave room between myself and the vehicle in front of me to dart to the side if necessary. I may not completely avoid a collision, but at least I won't be caught between vehicles.
I try to do the same with my car. One day leaving the base, and stopped at the gate, I heard the tires behind me lock up. I jumped to the grass and that car stopped about four feet behind the car that was in front of me.

Top Bottom