• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Steering Wheel Questions? Tilt? Telescopic? Size? Material?

GaPawn

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
If I remember correctly (and contrary to some comments I am not always right) I asked about the steering wheel when I was in Portland. The response was yes there will be tilt steering wheel.

Now as for the large steering wheel? In my totally biased and not the least bit humble opinion, if it is anywhere near the size of the steering wheel I had to drive with in a school bus - forget it. That thing was huge and I'm short - not a good combination in trying to steer. Of course the Elio is also not a 66 passenger bus but still. . . . . . .:) Z

OK, I'll admit that the nearly 17"er in my 300D is not HUGE, compared to your school bus monster! :eek:

But, compared to the 15" wheel in my wife's Durango, that 17" one kinda makes me feel like I've shrunk a bit, every time I get behind it.... ;)

Thanks for the info on the tilt wheel! I hadn't seen that before. They should put that in their list of standard features!!! :D

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't seen anything on a tilt steering wheel option, or will it be a fixed "one size fits all"?

My '84 300D Benz doesn't have a tilt wheel, and I like it just fine, but it has a HUGE steering wheel that you can easily see the dash thru. My '89 S10 Blazer DID have tilt wheel, but it got so loose and sloppy in the joint, that it was scary to drive if you weren't used to it. :eek:

In the interest of keeping the cost down, and having a steering wheel that won't wiggle all over when you turn it (after a hundred K miles or so) I've got no problems with a fixed steering wheel, assuming they can mount it so that it doesn't block my view of the gauges and I have to crane my neck to see them..... :confused:

AND, for what it's worth, that HUGE steering wheel on the Benz would also be nice for leverage on the Elio, since it won't have power steering. That might be a good way to kill two birds with one stone.... :cool:
Hello Steve and welcome from east Tennessee. I 100% agree they should list it as a standard feature. I started a thread about it myself a couple months ago, so your thread will most likely be merged with mine. Try the search feature on this site. Believe me, if it can be asked about the Elio, it probably already has been on this site. This bunch doesn't let ANYTHING slip by them! LOL :D

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
me thinks that the airbag option would lock in a certain vendor for providing the steering column with the specific wiring for the elio. getting an after market or salvage part might not be the quick answer for the sans tilt issue.
the arm rests are definitely desirable, for both the front and back. just don't need no stinking ashtrays though. also, a coin holder somewhere in the cockpit would be nice to have.(have to be careful here, least we option this endeavor out of existence) i'm having a problem seeing all this for $6800!.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But the P5 and final version is to have 2" more head room than the P4
In the back seat. To my knowledge the front seat does not need that change. You can see this in the Instagram of the 7'4" Elio reserveist. He was pleased he could look out the windshield without ducking his head to see the level of where traffic lights will be. They will simply be changing the angle of the roof to increase headroom in the back seat. :-) Z

Top Bottom