• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I own a smart car and don't mind the transmission at all. You can get it confused without too much effort, that said 99% of the time it works great. Have also ridden in a Porsche with PDK that can shift faster than any human can. Can also remember the last vehicle I drove that had a lever to adjust the timing on the wheel. The only constant is change.

I remember that lever on the wheel. My grandfather cleaned out the tack room so he could use it for a garage. He drove his new Model A home. When he approached the tack room, he pulled back on the wheel and said "Whoa". Didn't work. He hit the back of the tack room with his new car.

Ray O

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I prefer to shift so I like the 5 speed. However I see that Elio could save money if the only offered one transmission and for suck a lightweight cycle, car an CVT transmission would have a border appeal. and the assembly line would be simpler and fewer part to inventory. For now I plan to order the 5 speed.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I prefer to shift so I like the 5 speed. However I see that Elio could save money if the only offered one transmission and for suck a lightweight cycle, car an CVT transmission would have a border appeal. and the assembly line would be simpler and fewer part to inventory. For now I plan to order the 5 speed.

I think they chose to go with a traditional automotive tranny over the CVT, because CVT requires more maintainence and isn't going to have a 200,000 mile lifespan.

And they are offering Manual and Automatic because the expense is worth the sales they can get. But the physical transmission is the same in both, the only difference between the Manual and the MMT is that one has a cable linkage with clutch pedal, and the other has an electronic box bolted onto it.

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think they chose to go with a traditional automotive tranny over the CVT, because CVT requires more maintainence and isn't going to have a 200,000 mile lifespan.

And they are offering Manual and Automatic because the expense is worth the sales they can get. But the physical transmission is the same in both, the only difference between the Manual and the MMT is that one has a cable linkage with clutch pedal, and the other has an electronic box bolted onto it.
..so, how much more $ will this 'electronic box' cost?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
..so, how much more $ will this 'electronic box' cost?

Paul says he wants it to be at or below $600, but that was before they had finalized the model/supplier. Now that we know the transmission model (Aisin BC5 and MC5) that price is probably more known. But we haven't been given the exact price yet, to my knowledge.

Muzhik

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Originally I wanted the manual transmission, I thought it would be sportier to drive and might "feel" faster going through the gears. Then I realized that if I get an Elio, a lot of people I know would want to drive it and I know there are several folks that don't know how to drive a manual and it would be difficult to teach them from the back seat. Plus I would not want to risk someone damaging my new car trying to learn how to drive a manual. So, which ever automatic they choose and how it works will be just fine with me.
Reminds me of a story of how some guys robbed a bank. They tried carjacking a car to use for a getaway vehicle, but the car they jacked was a manual and none of the knew how to drive a manual transmission. They were still trying to figure it out when the cops arrived.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
From my experience with the smart, I suspect the main issue that might occur with an AMT is with the software in the transmission control unit. These automated manuals are heavily dependent on software. It happened only once, but I got the equivalent of a Windows bluescreen of death with the TCU, resulting in a frozen transmission (while parked). No big deal since there was a procedure in the owners manual to unfreeze it and then have the TCU go through an automatic "reteach" process. Took maybe 30 secs once I found the procedure. I've read other owners had their smart's towed but turned out they didn't read their owners manual.
Is this progress?
I don't remember traditional manuals of the past having a "blue screen of death" and having to search through the owners manual to find the procedure to unfreeze it so it can "reteach" itself.
Are they sure this is progress?

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score

What extra maintenance does a CVT require?

Top Bottom