• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If only it were that easy.

I know how and have driven manual transmissions for many years however, after a motorcycle accident, I now have a left knee that just doesn't work like it used to and I need an automatic transmission. Hey, at least I can still walk :)
Welcome to all things Elio, welcome too to the "walking wounded" grounded by the years of abuse. I too am looking for something to replace 50yrs of riding, and the Elio is the closest (maybe that toyota) thing to two wheels.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If it's like my commute, it'll be a one-legged stair climber . . . six feet, stop, six feet, stop . . . . The Elio Nordictrak . . .
You can always use the right foot, and hold it in place with the E-brake.
It will give you a chance to "balance" your workout.
Now what to do for the left arm ...... hmmmm
Manual windows!

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't tell John Deere, Case New Holland, or AGCO that. CVT transmissions are becoming the new standard in high hp farm tractors. Towing? Check.

This is actually news to me. Is this specific technology transferable to the Truck and Sports Car segments?

Tractors are less limited by weight so this might be a factor.

i will research this

Thanks Earl!

(edit)

The (heavy) tractor CVT is a completely different technology. It is much more complex than the belt driven CVT of the automotive world. It works on tractors because it replace the maintenance heavy hydrostatic transmissions. The heavy tractor CVT technology (while amazing) does not apply.

I actually want the CVT to work as well as a manual transmission, but I'm still not 100% convinced (yet)

Last edited:

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a CVT in my Rogue - not real happy with it. And for towing, NO. Tried that, just pulling a small u-haul (smallest 5x8) with a washer and dryer and a small loveseat, had to rent a car trailer and truck to tow the Rogue home. No way to keep the transmission from winding the revs right up into the red zone. You end up going slower and slower while the revs just keep climbing. Not about to do any more towing with it, had to change the fluid as soon as we got back (and returned the u-haul truck and trailer).

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This is actually news to me. Is this specific technology transferable to the Truck and Sports Car segments?

Tractors are less limited by weight so this might be a factor.

i will research this

Thanks Earl!

(edit)

The (heavy) tractor CVT is a completely different technology. It is much more complex than the belt driven CVT of the automotive world. It works on tractors because it replace the maintenance heavy hydrostatic transmissions. The heavy tractor CVT technology (while amazing) does not apply.

I actually want the CVT to work as well as a manual transmission, but I'm still not 100% convinced (yet)
I don't own one, I got a brief ridealong in one, but they are a near ideal solution in ag applications - longevity and maintenance issues down the road will tell how ideal. They came on market only 15 years or so ago, and gain popularity every year it seems, and used still get a premium over conventional trans machines. My newest machine is 30+ years old, so if they last another 15, I'll give a firsthand report then.

Could the ag design be adapted to an automotive trans? Probably but likely cost prohibitive. A $30K trans option on a $300K tractor is more palatable than a $10k option on a $30k car/pickup. There's less to gain as well, efficiency wise, so the payback isnt there.

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To be completely fair - for those considering a Rogue or the Vibe or the big brother Murano, the 4wd is nice, gas mpg ok, I got used to the 'single gear' fairly quickly, its not as bad as it seems. Just NOT a tow vehicle. We were towing the previously mentioned load up I-95 from Delray beach to New England. We made it as far as North Carolina, (where 95 stops being perfectly flat). The first small hill loaded it right up. I was glad we didnt push it into west virginia/penn area where it gets really steep. Even on the flat areas though, the revs were running about 4k, I could not get them down below that (normal cruise is about 1500.) No other issues other than towing. It had about 50k on the miles when we did this, now it has 75k and is no worse for it.

Top Bottom