• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The AMT has a "manual mode" where you can wiggle the stick between "+" and "-" to change gears up and down. But the computer is still doing the shifting for you, in it's own way, so you still don't have the same level of control that a true manual offers.

Personally, I'm fine with that. I'd much rather blame the shifing computer for burning up the clutch, then blame my own bad habits :p
I'm glad to hear that !
That's the way my smart shift (although I have paddle shifters) and I'm fine with that. I like to keep those small engines spinning and I can down shift when needed. The cruise control can not anticipate .... only react :D
And by then....it's too late !

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's a good explanation of an AMT. The first 60 seconds are rank b.s., but at the 1:00 minute mark we get to the useful part.

PS -- The opening shots show zillions of small truck-like vehicles pin balling it through Indian traffic. Market for the Elio Motor? Maybe ....

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the Configurator under automatic transmission, there is a drawing of the gear selector that has only 4 letters: P R N D

Do these letters mean it is a Continuous Variable Transmission (CVT)?

An automated manual would have the same gears as a manual transmission which does not have a park.
A traditional automatic transmission has a low gear selection next to the Drive gear selection so there would be the letter L next to the letter D.
I think a CVT would have the gears selection of P R N D.

Does this picture mean the Elio automatic transmission is a CVT? Seems to me it is.

If so, this is important.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the Configurator under automatic transmission, there is a drawing of the gear selector that has only 4 letters: P R N D

An automated manual would have the same gears as a manual transmission which does not have a park.
A traditional automatic transmission has a low gear selection next to the Drive gear selection so there would be the letter L next to the letter D.

Does this picture mean the Elio automatic transmission is a CVT? Seems to me it is.

Naw. It's probably just that the fender... Ooops, sorry. I mean the rest of the shift positions... simply fell off before they uploaded the graphic.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Maybe it's because most people would be too stupid or ignorant to understand something like
RNDM+-
as an automatic.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score

No. It's an Automated Manual Transmission. It'll have individual gears and shift like a stick shift... Well, sort of. Not all conventional automatic transmissions have the L setting. My old Mustang had P R N D 2 1 but my Truck has P R N D L.

Begin humorous rant (well, humorous to me, at least)
I consider the P R N D just the next dumbing down of the common driver. We can't have people confused about an automatic with actual choices. I mean, we got rid of the clutch pedal. Next will be that pesky shifter. It is really hard to pull away from the drive thru with a quarter pounder in one hand and my drink in the other and have to worry about multiple gears. I'm now proposing that all cars come with a simple F R switch. Forward and Reverse. Further, I'm proposing that we phase in mandatory autonomous driving. No more should we humans bear the responsibility of actually having to learn a skill and use our brains just to get from place to place. We should all meet and protest outside our local courthouses to pass such a resolution! Well, maybe we should all just write a letter so we don't have to go out. Okay, physically writing is a stretch. We should just send an email. That's it. Let's all send an email. Or a text. Shoot, someone else can do it. Let's just sit back and complain that nothing is like we want it to be. Remember the "people" from WALL-E? We're getting there...

Wall-e.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No. It's an Automated Manual Transmission. It'll have individual gears and shift like a stick shift... Well, sort of. Not all conventional automatic transmissions have the L setting. My old Mustang had P R N D 2 1 but my Truck has P R N D L.

Begin humorous rant (well, humorous to me, at least)
I consider the P R N D just the next dumbing down of the common driver. We can't have people confused about an automatic with actual choices. I mean, we got rid of the clutch pedal. Next will be that pesky shifter. It is really hard to pull away from the drive thru with a quarter pounder in one hand and my drink in the other and have to worry about multiple gears. I'm now proposing that all cars come with a simple F R switch. Forward and Reverse. Further, I'm proposing that we phase in mandatory autonomous driving. No more should we humans bear the responsibility of actually having to learn a skill and use our brains just to get from place to place. We should all meet and protest outside our local courthouses to pass such a resolution! Well, maybe we should all just write a letter so we don't have to go out. Okay, physically writing is a stretch. We should just send an email. That's it. Let's all send an email. Or a text. Shoot, someone else can do it. Let's just sit back and complain that nothing is like we want it to be. Remember the "people" from WALL-E? We're getting there...

View attachment 10948

I am with you. I could be a demonstrator/protester if I could do it from my chair:yo::pop2:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got so inspired that I faced in the direction of D.C. and gave the single finger salute.
That's it. I've done my part on this one. I'm done for the day.
LOL Makes me think of a movie! If you watched the movie "Office Space", Jennifer Anniston flips off her boss who kept telling her she needed more flare (buttons) on her waitress uniform. Slightly NSFW.

Top Bottom