• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it is true that the IAV engine is within 5% of the targets on their first dyno pull, Paul should be shouting it in the streets. That would be fantastic news for all the faithful. The official total silence on the engine makes no sense.

...Then again, ANY missed 'target' by Paul, just gives the trolls more ammo. In fact, I'm kind of surprised none of the usual suspects haven't chimed in yet...but it's still early in the day.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
[QUOTE="wheaters, post: 98239, member: 1916" Snipped: Cassic:
[/QUOTE]

FYI:
http://www.gizmag.com/vincent-black...ail&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-f38c39e2d3-90049426
linto-500-grand-prix-racer-18.jpg

eliothegreat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
...Then again, ANY missed 'target' by Paul, just gives the trolls more ammo. In fact, I'm kind of surprised none of the usual suspects haven't chimed in yet...but it's still early in the day.
I think you are conflating the issues. The usual suspects (trolls) have a habit of calling Elio out on lies, deceptions, and misdirections. They faithful would complain if the MSRP was raised to $7300, the trolls just want Elio to be honest about it. The faithful would cry at 81mpg, the trolls just want to see the advertising corrected. The faithful were the ones defending the targeted and on-tracked dates well beyond any possibility of achievement. The trolls wanted the truth published from the beginning when Elio knew the dates were not possible.

Again, transparency would be publishing the accomplishment "EMI/IAV engine reaches 95% of targeted horsepower and torque goals on initial dyno run!", followed by a nice story. There is nothing to be ashamed of if they are really that close in early testing. The silence implies that there are problems with the engine. On the other hand, there have been statements made that the engine was performing above expectations. There were also statements made that the engine had been undergoing dyno testing well before Paul announced that first dyno run was just last month.

We both agree that Elio supplies the trolls, skeptics, and questioners with loads of free ammo.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snipped: By the way, the video link I showed from the Lands End trial isn't the full story - the participants have already driven about two hundred miles and done a previous dozen sections or so by the time they get to the section shown. I have done a similar event in my car but only marshalled / observed on two of the earlier sections of the Lands End this year. Drove down, went to the pub, slept in the car, then began work on the first hill at 0500 on the Saturday morning.

This is the website of the organizing club:
http://www.themotorcyclingclub.org.uk/

W,
Understand the club enthusiasm. Did a lot of 'Autocross' while
stationed @ New River/Camp Lejeune, NC. Hope to resume
club activities in the Elio. PS: Goodwood is on my 'Bucket List'.
https://grrc.goodwood.com/section/festival-of-speed/#c256ds6agFH0rV5X.97
900ecf53377567d9d62a0dbf68eb6eb3639aaaa689d442e74db6df57.jpg

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think you are conflating the issues. The usual suspects (trolls) have a habit of calling Elio out on lies, deceptions, and misdirections. They faithful would complain if the MSRP was raised to $7300, the trolls just want Elio to be honest about it. The faithful would cry at 81mpg, the trolls just want to see the advertising corrected. The faithful were the ones defending the targeted and on-tracked dates well beyond any possibility of achievement. The trolls wanted the truth published from the beginning when Elio knew the dates were not possible.

Again, transparency would be publishing the accomplishment "EMI/IAV engine reaches 95% of targeted horsepower and torque goals on initial dyno run!", followed by a nice story. There is nothing to be ashamed of if they are really that close in early testing. The silence implies that there are problems with the engine. On the other hand, there have been statements made that the engine was performing above expectations. There were also statements made that the engine had been undergoing dyno testing well before Paul announced that first dyno run was just last month.

We both agree that Elio supplies the trolls, skeptics, and questioners with loads of free ammo.
Silence may also imply that Elio isn't doing the testing and must wait on someone else to let them know how testing is going.

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it is true that the IAV engine is within 5% of the targets on their first dyno pull, Paul should be shouting it in the streets. That would be fantastic news for all the faithful. The official total silence on the engine makes no sense.
Then Jarome needs to stop telling people that the engine produces "almost 60hp".
I'm thinking back to the snafu of "not seeking any more funding" and the temporary ending of the rebate program.
The engine start delay was just icing on the cake.
I agree with you in that these guys need to get on the same page, get thier turds together, and tighten up thier act.
They should immediately address the need to instill confindence in themselves, their company and their product and act accordingly.

Last edited:

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since the engine needs more horsepower. Perhaps they will drop the cam with the variable timing lobes into the engine and try to boost the power.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Being less than 5% off target in the very first engine is not a big deal at all. The engineers at IAV will look through the data, determine where they are under performing, and make tweaks to the design in order to achieve their targets as the engine development and testing program moves forward. Even if they had hit the targets on the nose it is highly likely the engineers would have noticed some details they would have tweaked anyhow as this is the point of this process. As they are so close on their first attempt I have no doubt that the engineers at IAV will be able to hit their targets with a few tweaks as this is what they do all the time for their clients.

Top Bottom