• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Easy guys, Mr. ant is just excited and eager to learn all he can about the Elio.
If I had to read 1600 pages, or just ask a question,, I think I would just ask.
The shortest answer was that no existing engine produced enough torque to get the required mpg at highway speeds. Also, according to Jerome Vassallo who told me this a year ago, not every maker is willing to sell engines -- and if so, at a markup that makes them MORE expensive than design and make it yourself. So Elio gets the right engine at a predictable cost. End of story. Please.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is supposed to make the Elio engine so great? As many other people have posted, there are engines out there of similar size but a lor more powerful. Is it not possible to make the Elio motor more powerful, but with the same MPG?

If someone else makes your engine, for example another auto manufacturer, they can decide how many vehicles you can produce. They control the engines specifications and as a result, your mileage. As far as power, power uses gas. Why put a larger engine in your vehicle than you need to do the job. Most people don't care if they can do 0 - 60 in the low 5s. Many people understand that the more power you put through the drive train to the wheels, the more robust and heavy your drive train must be. That robustness and weight is mileage and money.
You establish your goals and objectives and then design to meet them. 3 cylinder, 55 cu in, 55 HP, 55 ft lb torque.
(Incidentally, 1 HP / cu. in. in a naturally aspirated engine is respectable.)
Hopefully, this helps to clarify the situation.

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The main difference is cost and simplicity. How many engines mfg. today are 2 valve per cyl?
At least they didn't go back to the "pushrod" style.

Willie

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It was all about compromise.
It needed to be light, efficient, reliable, easy to work on AND have a power band (HP at each RPM on a chart) that would fit the Elio.

Long story short:
The early prototypes used a 1.0L 3 cyl engine from a Geo Metro. Good enough for a prototype but not good enough for production.

So where was the compromise?
Elio had a new engine designed and delayed the car at least a year.

Nothing is free. Time, money or characteristics.

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I too noticed the questioning that ant posts. Not sure of the motive, but in good faith people respond as if this was his first day on the board. I get the impression he is "casting" and see who nibbles, time will tell-for now I'll wait and see but not bite

No hidden agenda here. Exactly this:

Easy guys, Mr. ant is just excited and eager to learn all he can about the Elio.
If I had to read 1600 pages, or just ask a question,, I think I would just ask.

Top Bottom