• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
You know it's funny because the only vehicle I have ever owned that gave me any problems was a Toyota. I never bought another Toyota again. I have owned Ford, GM and Chrysler products that have all been 100% trouble free. In fact my forever car is a 1985 Ford Ranger that will crack the half million mile barrier this year! Hopefully an Elio will join my forever stable soon too.

Funny how we all have completely different experiences that leads us to completely different opinions, I'm sure Elio will be just as devisive.

The Consumer's Union is the least skewed reviewer of products in the world. They BUY the items tested, accept no advertising, and have no shareholders. The product reliability information comes directly from subscribers who fill out surveys.
The seeming "skew" represents actual reporting from car owners who have either good, average or bad experiences with their particular make and model.
I have personally owned Datsuns and Nissans, Toyotas, Isuzus, and Mazdas. Never had a rust-bomb, maybe due to where I didn't live, never had a major repair, never had a transmission rebuilt, always had someone wanting to buy my old rig when I bought a new one.
I could type for hours telling you about the Dodge truck, Ford truck, Chevy Tahoe, Ford van, etc., and all the repairs they required.
I have great hope that Chrysler, General Motors and Ford are making better vehicles these days. I keep looking at some of the newer models and really like the looks of them. The Ford Flex is one I really like.
When you can drive a Ford the equivalent of 6 times around the world without a tap being turned, that'll be a good day for American car makers.[/QUOTE

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It seems to me that all things being the same, I would prefer the one from the known brand.
Company reputation and longevity come into play for me when choosing a product, especially something as expensive as an appliance.
What happens is that these companies contract out the manufacture of their appliances to a 3rd party factory, usually in China or thereabouts and then the factory over-produces it and sells it with a smaller brand's badge. So that Chinese brand that is 50% of the price of a Kenmore is a Kenmore. Just like my old Geo Prizm. When I pulled the radio out, there was a Toyota sticker behind it. The only parts of that car that weren't produced by Toyota were the Geo emblems.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What happens is that these companies contract out the manufacture of their appliances to a 3rd party factory, usually in China or thereabouts and then the factory over-produces it and sells it with a smaller brand's badge. So that Chinese brand that is 50% of the price of a Kenmore is a Kenmore. Just like my old Geo Prizm. When I pulled the radio out, there was a Toyota sticker behind it. The only parts of that car that weren't produced by Toyota were the Geo emblems.
None of the GEO line from Chevrolet was produced by Chevy. Hence the term "GEO" for all over the world. The Tracker was Suzuki (corrected). The GEO Metro was Suzuki, and as you said, the Prizm was Toyota, etc.. The Ford Contour was a Mazda. This also goes for generic food, cleaners or other products.

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, the old VW engines were the bomb! That's why most folks who owned a VW kept a spare engine sitting on their workbench ready to swap out with the one in their car.

That was true. IIRC, the long studs that secured the cylinders and heads, were "pressed" into the blocks and under heavy use, those studs could loosen. Heli-coils (threaded steel inserts) successfully remedied the issue.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Was that for any particular years? I have owned over half a dozen (from '89-95) and they were all Suzuki. Some of them did have Mitsubishi ECM's, tho. :)
. The Tracker is Suzuki. My bad.
Metro
Main article: Geo Metro
220px-1992_Geo_Metro_convertible_01.jpg
1992 Geo Metro convertible
The Geo Metro is a small economy car that was based on the Suzuki Swift (Cultus). It was produced from 1989 to 2001 model years. The first generation was offered in three and five-door hatchback models as well as a 4-door notchback sedan that was only sold in Canada. In 1990, a convertible was available but was phased out after 1993. Metros came in three trim levels: XFi, Base or LSi. The XFi's engine has less horsepower than the base and LSi and achieved startling gas mileage 53 MPG (city) 58 MPG (highway). All of the Metros at this time had three cylinder engines with a 5-speed manual or 3-speed automatic transmission. The convertible is also the only first-generation Metro to offer an airbag. In 1995 the Metro was redesigned with a more modern appearance and offered a 70 hp (52 kW; 71 PS) four-cylinder engine, standard dual airbags and optional anti-lock brakes. A four-door sedan replaced the five-door hatchback. The XFi did not return for 1995 and only the base and LSi models were offered. The three-cylinder engine remained in the base hatchback. In 1998 the Metro, now branded as a Chevrolet, was revamped one last time. It was given minor re-styling, improved headlamps, and improved four cylinder engine, now producing 79 hp (59 kW; 80 PS). The 2000 model year was the last for the Metro hatchback and the three cylinder engine. All 2001 models were four-door sedans that were sold to fleets only.

Prizm[edit]
220px-2nd_Geo_Prizm_.jpg
1993-1997 Geo Prizm
Main article: Geo Prizm
The Prizm is a compact four-door sedan that was based on the Toyota E90 and E100 platform Toyota Sprinter. It was the successor to the Chevrolet Nova. A five-door hatchback model was also offered through 1991. While the Prizm consistently won awards from the auto industry (including a Consumer's Digest Best Buy selection), it was always outsold by the platform twin Toyota Corolla. Additionally, the Prizm was positioned within Chevrolet's model lineup against Chevy's own Cavalier for market share and dealer floor space. The Prizm was sold from 1989 through 2002 and produced at NUMMI in Fremont, California. The Prizm came in either a base model or a more upscale LSi version that had an optional 1.8 L engine and a 4-speed automatic transmission. Leather interior was also optional on the LSi model. From 1990-1992 the Prizm had a sporty GSi model, with red and black badging. It was equivalent in power and equipment to the Corolla GT-S although the latter was a coupe.The GSi was the most powerful Prizm with 130 hp (97 kW; 132 PS).

Spectrum[edit]
220px-Geo_Chevrolet_Spectrum.jpg
1989 Geo Spectrum
Main article: Geo Spectrum
The Spectrum was a short-lived subcompact model based on the Isuzu I-Mark and one size up from the Metro. The Spectrum was sold as a regular Chevrolet model from 1985 to 1988. With the launch of the Geo marque in 1989, the Spectrum was rebranded as a Geo. Although the grille stayed the same (including the Chevrolet "bowtie" emblem without Geo "globe") the rear "Chevrolet" emblem was replaced with a "Geo" emblem. The Geo Spectrum was only sold in 1989 and was replaced by the Isuzu-produced Geo Storm hatchback.

Storm[edit]
220px-Geo_Storm_--_-07-09-2009.jpg
1991 Geo Storm GSi
Main article: Geo Storm
The Storm was a sports car based on the Isuzu Impulse, available as either a two-door fastback or a three-door hatchback. The Storm entered Geo's lineup in 1990 as a base model or in GSi trim, replacing the related Geo Spectrum. The base model came with a choice of either a 3-speed automatic or a 5-speed manual. The GSi models came with either a 5-speed manual or a 4-speed automatic, better handling, a rear spoiler, bucket seats, and a more powerful DOHC engine. In 1992, the front and rear of all models were restyled, the GSi sported a bigger 1.8 liter DOHC engine, replacing the former 1.6 DOHC, and a redesigned rear spoiler. Despite strong sales the Storm was discontinued in 1993, this was due in part to Isuzu discontinuing their car lines, and refocusing on trucks and SUVs. The Geo Storm was the performance oriented vehicle of the Geo marque. The Storm was produced in Japan by Isuzu alongside the Geo Spectrum.

Tracker[edit]
220px-Geo_Tracker_LSi_convertible.jpg
Geo Tracker
Main article: Geo Tracker
The Geo Tracker SUV was introduced in 1989 and was based on the Suzuki Sidekick. It was a low cost alternative vehicle in place of a Jeep. It was originally offered as a two-door with either a convertible or fixed hard top in base or upscale LSi versions. All models between 89 and 90 were offered in 5 speed manual with four wheel drive. In 1996 the two-door hard top was dropped in favor of the four-door model. The four-door offered a 95 hp (71 kW; 96 PS) engine and an optional four-speed automatic transmission. The Tracker was produced from 1989 to 1998 under the Geo marque, and 1999 to 2004 under Chevrolet itself, making it the longest running Geo model. The Tracker was completely redesigned for the 1999 model year. It was replaced by the Chevrolet Equinox in 2005. It still is a popular off road vehicle.

Top Bottom