• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Next Generation Elio Engine ? (2-stroke Turbo Diesel)

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That pretty cool! Sounds like it is still in the early development stage. I get the impression that it could be retrofit to older engines.

Okay, I'm no engine materials expert, but with a leaner A/F ratio (I believe they mention 20:1), I'd think there would have to be some adjustments to the materials used in the pistons for sure, heads possibly, and valves due to increased exhaust temps (less 'quenching' with leaner A/F ratios), which IMHO limits a drop-in retrofit replacement for spark plugs. Maybe a ceramic, or at least some type of heat reflective coating on the aluminum bits in the combustion chamber would do the trick. Interesting article though.

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I'm no engine materials expert, but with a leaner A/F ratio (I believe they mention 20:1), I'd think there would have to be some adjustments to the materials used in the pistons for sure, heads possibly, and valves due to increased exhaust temps (less 'quenching' with leaner A/F ratios), which IMHO limits a drop-in retrofit replacement for spark plugs. Maybe a ceramic, or at least some type of heat reflective coating on the aluminum bits in the combustion chamber would do the trick. Interesting article though.

Those are good points. A bunch of "remapping'' the fuel system, too. More than a simple retrofit.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will be avoiding passenger vehicle diesels for the foreseeable future. First, according to the EPA the inherent CO(2) potential of diesel is 14% more than for gasoline, e.g. for avowed treehuggers like me a diesel motor must afford more than 14% increase in efficiency to offer any advantage over a petrol engine. Second, I suffered through two BMW 335d's, both featuring urea injection systems designed to reduce NOx and both of whose emissions systems fell apart before hitting 70k miles. I'm pretty sure most car and truck diesels sold now employ urea injection, so perhaps BMW's are just POS cars, but I wouldn't buy a diesel Elio until after at least the second generation.

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I will be avoiding passenger vehicle diesels for the foreseeable future. First, according to the EPA the inherent CO(2) potential of diesel is 14% more than for gasoline, e.g. for avowed treehuggers like me a diesel motor must afford more than 14% increase in efficiency to offer any advantage over a petrol engine. Second, I suffered through two BMW 335d's, both featuring urea injection systems designed to reduce NOx and both of whose emissions systems fell apart before hitting 70k miles. I'm pretty sure most car and truck diesels sold now employ urea injection, so perhaps BMW's are just POS cars, but I wouldn't buy a diesel Elio until after at least the second generation.
An "avowed tree hugger" should welcome increased CO2 emissions. No CO2=no trees. Time to go cremate some of your fallen friends.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Earl,

Less CO(2) is better. At least it is a better bet than more CO(2). Hence my interest in the Elio but my disinterest in one powered by a diesel plant. Much of their touted efficiency is owing to this difference in the total BTU's in a gallon of heavier diesel than lighter gas.

I kinda think of myself as sorta middle of the road on the whole issue of tree hugging. The bark is scratchy.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure that works out exactly since if diesel produces 14% more co2 and it IS typically 33% more efficient, then it should reduce co2 by 9%. Statistically. AND, your premise of Bambi-sparing conscientiousness assumes that the Diesel fuel you don't burn will be returned back down the oil well from whence it came. A barrel of oil contains both diesel and gasoline as well as other products. If you burn diesel, someone gets the gasoline. If you burn gas, someone else burns the diesel. Only way to break out is to burn neither, thereby reducing the fossil fuel demand overall.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sure that works out exactly since if diesel produces 14% more co2 and it IS typically 33% more efficient, then it should reduce co2 by 9%. Statistically. AND, your premise of Bambi-sparing conscientiousness assumes that the Diesel fuel you don't burn will be returned back down the oil well from whence it came. A barrel of oil contains both diesel and gasoline as well as other products. If you burn diesel, someone gets the gasoline. If you burn gas, someone else burns the diesel. Only way to break out is to burn neither, thereby reducing the fossil fuel demand overall.

Wear animal skins and cotton.
Synthetics contain petro chemicals. :)

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't speak for the crowd , but finding a fuel station that sells Diesel near my home is a factored annoyance . If I were ever tempted to veer from the convenience of gasoline , it would certainly ONLY be for LPG . Traditional engines can easily be converted to LPG and provide lower fuel costs, 20% lower CO2 emissions and no particulate emissions at all . Cleaner burning fuel reduces wear and adds additional life to your traditional engine.
So , if I have to hunt for a station to fill my vehicle , I will only hunt for a better alternative .
Side Note:
If I were in a position to make regulations , ALL US commercial vehicles would be running LPG .

LPG.jpg

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I can't speak for the crowd , but finding a fuel station that sells Diesel near my home is a factored annoyance . If I were ever tempted to veer from the convenience of gasoline , it would certainly ONLY be for LPG . Traditional engines can easily be converted to LPG and provide lower fuel costs, 20% lower CO2 emissions and no particulate emissions at all . Cleaner burning fuel reduces wear and adds additional life to your traditional engine.
So , if I have to hunt for a station to fill my vehicle , I will only hunt for a better alternative .
Side Note:
If I were in a position to make regulations , ALL US commercial vehicles would be running LPG .

View attachment 4906
I would like to see more LPG run here in the US, but once again someone is still going to end up burning the diesel. Actually if one is out to save the planet, it could be well argued that we should burn MORE of the diesel fuel here in newer cleaner burning vehicles instead of having it burned in countries with older, clunkers that have no emission control systems or pollution laws. Let them burn the fuels that will burn cleaner in any old junker. If one wanted to take a strictly logical approach.

Hotscoots

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Like everyone , I want clean air and water but it would be a stretch to call me an environmentalist . LPG is a resource that the USA has an overwhelming abundance of . Lower fuel costs equates to more middle class spending elsewhere . Which in turn elevates our GDP and creates much needed jobs .
I view LPG as a sturdy bridge to the future . As a country we jumped too quickly to electrics without any thoughtful analysis . Typical of the folks in charge .

Top Bottom