• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Options, They Are On Their Way

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
PE Has stated that options
will be cost plus 20%, we'll
see if that holds....
That's been restated. The total markup to the consumer is 30%. 20% to the supplier, 10% to Elio Motors. Paul mentioned this in his press conference, so I might have misheard -- it kind of flew by in an off-hand sort of way. But that's what I think I heard, anyhow.

In any event, those are very thin margins. In the case of the examples in the "configurator" video, the wrap seemed fairly priced (it's only a half a car, after all), but the spoilers seemed pretty high to me ... $125/wheel for tire sensors and a display seemed a bit high ... but these are all hypothetical prices, and as Paul said, the market demand will dictate what's actually offered. Prices may adjust as demand for any given option becomes more clear, and as more firms compete to supply it. For instance, if you had several suppliers competing to supply rear view cameras and "mirrors", the price would probably head downward pretty fast.

What I don't know and haven't heard mentioned, is how Elio will certify the quality of the goodies. It looks as if they'll sell anything to anyone .... (humming the finale of "have a little priest from Sweeney Todd") but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't really do that.

So ... suppliers will compete to supply the vast demand (supposedly) for Elio tweaks and refinements. Their margins will be tight. The profits won't be enormous, not at 20%. So maybe there won't be a mad rush to supply every conceivable goody after all.

Just so long as I can get my rear view camera, safety LEDs on the wheel covers to define the corners of the vehicle at night, and my cruise control, I can make do. Of course, temptation lurks .. but I'm with whoever it was the scoffed at paying a couple of hundred bucks for non functional dams and spoilers which only add weight and hurt mileage.

time will tell.

Last edited:

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If it's still to be offered, I wish to get the "rear window" louver, primarily to promote the E, by "indicating" there is a rear window. Even here, there continues to be concerns -the absence of the rear window, I'll be another obstacle to be overcome by the "public", and one less discussion.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
That's been restated. The total markup to the consumer is 30%. 20% to the supplier, 10% to Elio Motors. Paul mentioned this in his press conference, so I might have misheard -- it kind of flew by in an off-hand sort of way. But that's what I think I heard, anyhow.

In any event, those are very thin margins. In the case of the examples in the "configurator" video, the wrap seemed fairly priced (it's only a half a car, after all), but the spoilers seemed pretty high to me ... $125/wheel for tire sensors and a display seemed a bit high ... but these are all hypothetical prices, and as Paul said, the market demand will dictate what's actually offered. Prices may adjust as demand for any given option becomes more clear, and as more firms compete to supply it. For instance, if you had several suppliers competing to supply rear view cameras and "mirrors", the price would probably head downward pretty fast.

What I don't know and haven't heard mentioned, is how Elio will certify the quality of the goodies. It looks as if they'll sell anything to anyone .... (humming the finale of "have a little priest from Sweeney Todd") but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't really do that.

So ... suppliers will compete to supply the vast demand (supposedly) for Elio tweaks and refinements. Their margins will be tight. The profits won't be enormous, not at 20%. So maybe there won't be a mad rush to supply every conceivable goody after all.

Just so long as I can get my rear view camera, safety LEDs on the wheel covers to define the corners of the vehicle at night, and my cruise control, I can make do. Of course, temptation lurks .. but I'm with whoever it was the scoffed at paying a couple of hundred bucks for non functional dams and spoilers which only add weight and hurt mileage.

time will tell.
One thing to remember on body styling parts (front spoiler, rear wing, etc.) is that they are special made and only fit the Elio. If it was a part for something like a Chevy PU where they have hundred's of thousands that have the same part that will fit, mass production lowers price.
With the TPMS pricing, the units that go in the tire are only $20 each for some, $50 each for others; but you also need the receivers, the wiring and the main "brain" unit, plus labor to put it in (break the tires down, re-balance, mount the sensors and the main unit); so a $400 may not be too far out of line.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'd like to see offered as an option color-matched aero covers for the suspension bits, similar to the ones on the Aptera.
image.jpeg

And some lights for the front and rear of the wheel covers, while we're at it.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
No, the Elio would be 24hrs. You want extras on that? Not so much, unless it's simple.

Exactly what I was saying.
Probably means 24 hr for a simple version like cruise control and tinted windows.
The more options you get the longer it takes.
The original 24 hours probably did not assume things like wraps.

Top Bottom