• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Real P5 ?

Johnny Acree

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering if the Elgin dash could be rebuilt. It should be possible to remove the brushed al. face plate and the disc with the numbers, then reassembly with a standard face plate and pointer.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've been wondering if the Elgin dash could be rebuilt. It should be possible to remove the brushed al. face plate and the disc with the numbers, then reassembly with a standard face plate and pointer.
That's what I'll try first, after I give it a chance to grow on me. But the two gage clusters above look really good to me.
But then too, I'll check out what ever options Elio Motors provides. Since accessories are a business model, I can't see Elio side stepping this opportunity.

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The way I see it is that those that remove the Elgin gauges will devalue your Elio because it has become personalized. An Elio with the original Elgin gauges will always be more valuable because it has not been hacked. And its easier/cheaper to just leave them alone and live with them.

That's the rule with collector cars anyways. YMMV.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The way I see it is that those that remove the Elgin gauges will devalue your Elio because it has become personalized. An Elio with the original Elgin gauges will always be more valuable because it has not been hacked. And its easier/cheaper to just leave them alone and live with them.

That's the rule with collector cars anyways. YMMV.

I was actually having these same thoughts earlier today and I ultimately decided it really doesn't matter unless you have one of the very first (if not the first) elios.

With a starting price of $6800 and the reality that if successful there will be hundreds of thousands of them, I really can't see an elio commanding any significant value just because it hasn't been modified. In the short term I would actually expect to see customised elios fetching more money or at least attracting more buyers. If you are looking for a longer term value I would think you would do better investing in the stock market.

Perhaps the member that has all the freewheel vehicles can comment. I'd bet those cars aren't selling for very much more than what they sold for originally. They are collector cars and there were far fewer of them then there are elios but I think a comparison would be useful.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I want to see it in black now.

It's interesting how good the red color looks, it has swayed many an Elio owner. If we get to see one in black at some point, I'd guess the same thing... many others would get swayed to Licorice. :cool2:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The controls are standard size but they may appear a bit out of scale in the compact Elio cockpit. EM may be able to find something that integrates a bit better into the dash but my guess is that Jeff Miller is correct that the size of the controls can't get much smaller due to considerations for being able to use the controls.

These details are all subject to change as EM works with its suppliers to find what works best in this vehicle. It will be interesting to see the changes as EM works its way through the E-series vehicle development program.
I'd just add, G1, that this is one arena where we can pray they DO make changes. Close to universal condemnation from people who have voted with their pocket books ought to mean something, even to as stubborn a man as Paul Elio!

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really don't think there's anything underneath those climate control knobs.

I was pretty sure that they were going to have to throw some of the P5 together to meet the deadline.
Now that the goal is accomplished, I hope they take this back to the shop and work on it for as long as it takes.

Is not having a half-done P5 out on tour going to disappoint some people? Probably.
But would those people be even more disappointed because of further delays?

Personally, I'd rather wait to see a true "final prototype" on tour, or not see one at all.
I did notice that the LA show is the only thing still showing as being scheduled for the tour.
It's going to be interesting to see how they play this out.

I believe the P5 is scheduled to be on display at the Detroit Auto Show in January and that Technosports will get their paws on it just before that.

Top Bottom