• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Total Out The Door Price?

Kewaneh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the price. I'm as attracted to the $6,800 target as much as the next guy, but even if it does edge closer to $10,000, it's still a steal when compared to other cars. Even motorcycles routinely break the $10,000 mark, without a roof or AC. The larger sport-tourers and land yachts from Japan & Germany are easily $15,000-$20,000+. New Honda Goldwings and BMW K1600s are $30,000! Not to mention, while motorcycles get great mileage, relative to a four-wheeled vehicle, they're nowhere near the projected 80+mpg Elio projection.

For comparison, the 2006 Honda ST1300 in my avatar, costs $18,000 (2013 MSRP), gets 41-43 mpg, and when it rains, I get wet.

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With most car manufacturers nowadays, options come as packages often with significant cost. Being relatively handy, I know that I can buy used parts from wrecked versions of the car soon enough, getting the options I want for much less than the cost of a package. This is a great way to save on the initial price while eventually being able to upgrade to options like leather seats or alloy wheels a year or so down the road.I will only order my Elio with options like cruise control that cannot easily be added later as the need arises. I will try to keep as close to 6800 as I can.

Kewaneh

Elio Fan
Reaction score
You hit that right! As a recently new owner of a BMW K1600 Exclusive I can tell you your number is actually Conservative!! Never thought a motorcycle would cost more than a car but thats the price of fun I guess!! I do LOVE toys!!!View attachment 2166
That bike is gorgeous. Not to mention smooth, agile, quick, and smooth. A far cry from the original K100 and especially the smaller the K75 (like I have in my garage), but not so far away at the same time. Did I mention how ridiculously smooth they are? I prefer the Boxer motors myself, but the K-series cannot be denied.

The "conservative" numbers I mentioned are MSRPs. The top-tier Goldwing (with airbags) is $29,550; the BMW GTL lists at $29,950. Either way, it's a lot of money for a lot of bike. The out-the-door price is always more than the MSRP, substantially in some cases. The GTLs have been back-ordered, and/or sold-before-they-arrived since their debut, and many dealers (studying Harley's business model) take advantage of that. Add accessories into the mix and you're easily tacking on another $2500-$7000. Honda is not particularly plagued with the supply & demand problem for it's Wings, that problem seems to be exclusive to Honda's new, smaller displacement 300cc & 500cc street models. Either way, GTL or Wing, "conservative" takes on a whole new meaning when the numbers start to climb like that.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Well, we are prepared to pay for auto transmission, but that's about it. We need to mind our budget and stay on track. Yes, we will save on gas money, specially my Husband who has to drive over 50 miles one way to work. But, in NE Ohio the Elio will only be a 3 and a half season vehicle. And for us we will have the added motorcycle insurance to pay because we won't be doing without our old vehicles. I got a ball park quote of $266. per year, full coverage for ME and the same for the Husband. My Daughter will pay a little higher because of her age and where she lives. Not a whole lot of money, but still needs to be included in the family budget. Like Z, I am still debating whether get them all delivered or not. I am hope they might cut us a break on three. Specially if we hold out and have them delivered together. Time will tell. Night All. WHO IS GOING TO MICHIGAN SATURDAY???????????????????

I went to Michigan...Detroit, or should I say Destroyoit. I digress...
I went thinking this was a car show/cruise in as I've been to several shows before...but NO, I would estimate close to 500,000 people, an eight lane divided road with a million cars it seemed...yes, this was a HUGE EVENT locally.
I found the Elio amongst the crowd, P4, much nicer than the P3 I saw in Columbus but there were so many people I just took some quick pics and left. They had a good crowd as usual and seemed like a lot of people liked it.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went to Michigan...Detroit, or should I say Destroyoit. I digress...
I went thinking this was a car show/cruise in as I've been to several shows before...but NO, I would estimate close to 500,000 people, an eight lane divided road with a million cars it seemed...yes, this was a HUGE EVENT locally.
I found the Elio amongst the crowd, P4, much nicer than the P3 I saw in Columbus but there were so many people I just took some quick pics and left. They had a good crowd as usual and seemed like a lot of people liked it.
You are a very brave and dedicated person to travel that far for a few pictures. My son ended up not going because of several reasons but hearing what the crowd was like, I'm glad he didn't go. He would have hated it! I'm glad you got to see the P4 and that you made it home safely to tell us about it. :) Z

Last edited:

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went up around 10:30AM to see the P4, the line to sit in it was already long, so I just took a few pictures and noped out of there. It was actually bigger than I expected, so that's a plus. It was crazy there. I have a lot of co-workers who live near Woodward and they hate it, makes getting around impossible.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I went up around 10:30AM to see the P4, the line to sit in it was already long, so I just took a few pictures and noped out of there. It was actually bigger than I expected, so that's a plus. It was crazy there. I have a lot of co-workers who live near Woodward and they hate it, makes getting around impossible.
Another very brave Elioite. I hope you both plan on sharing your pictures. :-) Z

StuartGrant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sure, I only got 3 pics but it's better than nothing.

While I was there a rep opened the hood, the galvanized box next to the batter is power supply for indoor events.
NuBjV74.png

JfmpKmb.png

d49dwmz.png

Top Bottom