• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Trading In Your Old Car When Getting Your Elio

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks KN16,
But I like the white with green stripes, it will kind of pop on the road at night, you will see me coming... But if you would like a Pepto pink one, by all means have it your way....

I did say there were no facts in this matter, it was just a hope... you remember hope... the thing you did when you signed on to Elio Motors....

At one time you had to have some, or you would not have gone this far... this is just my way of showing a little hope... and I would love take the plant tour in the middle of winter... count me in...

Proud to be... an Elio owner... soon..
I just realized that you mentioned Hope... as in "A New Hope"... or actually, "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope" on "May the Forth be with you" Day... Which is the 37th Anniversary celebration day of Star Wars.

Hey, I wrote this on "Revenge of the Sixth" day!

Sorry... That was a waste of everbody's time... :oops::(

... but, it was kind of fun to write... So, it made me smile and that is good for me.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
There's lots of questions that this thread could imply... I'll mention a few.

Has anyone heard that Elio will or will not plan to accept trades, when you go to the store to buy an Elio? My guess is that Elio will not, but maybe someone has heard something to the contrary.

If Elio will take trades, do you plan to trade in a car when you buy your Elio? I remember a few months back filling out a survey from Elio, on whether I planned to trade in a car and what it would be.

I understand that it may be better financially to sell an existing car myself, so not really interested in discussing which is a better decision. It'll be up to the individual most likely.

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing trades discussion

Last edited by a moderator:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Has anyone heard that Elio will or will not plan to accept trades, when you go to the store to buy an Elio? My guess is that Elio will not, but maybe someone has heard something to the contrary.

If Elio will take trades, do you plan to trade in a car when you buy your Elio? I remember a few months back filling out a survey from Elio, on whether I planned to trade in a car and what it would be.

I understand that it may be better financially to sell an existing car myself, so not really interested in discussing which is a better decision. It'll be up to the individual most likely.
Personally I am not fond of trying to sell my own car so I am hoping to trade in if they offer it. We have not heard a final decision or the results of that survey. :-) Z

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling they wont be taking trade ins. If anything they claim people have clunkers so maybe they can link up with a auto salvage company to buy said clunkers. Or maybe a Carmax type deal for the non clunkers? I think most people will not be trading in anything. Since this is and AND car right? Plus it adds in more issues for Elio transporting and selling off the trade ins.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a feeling they wont be taking trade ins. If anything they claim people have clunkers so maybe they can link up with a auto salvage company to buy said clunkers. Or maybe a Carmax type deal for the non clunkers? I think most people will not be trading in anything. Since this is and AND car right? Plus it adds in more issues for Elio transporting and selling off the trade ins.
Agreed. Plus, the Elio Store rendering on the web site shows them in a strip mall - not a location conducive to accommodating used cars. I've also seen articles claiming their business plan doesn't include enough employees in each store to handle the level of sales they are projecting. Throw in appraising used cars and then handling them, that gets even worse. (Caveat - I have not read the business plan and have no idea what a realistic number of sales per employee per store is).

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, but this is going to be an entirely new car, with an entirely new drive train. I plan on hanging onto my current daily driver for at least 6 months until I have some level of confidence in my new Elio. Bigger companies than Elio have fumbled a new product roll out.

Bilbo B

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, the Elio Store rendering on the web site shows them in a strip mall - not a location conducive to accommodating used cars. I've also seen articles claiming their business plan doesn't include enough employees in each store to handle the level of sales they are projecting. Throw in appraising used cars and then handling them, that gets even worse. (Caveat - I have not read the business plan and have no idea what a realistic number of sales per employee per store is).

Not trying to be a nay-sayer, but this is going to be an entirely new car, with an entirely new drive train. I plan on hanging onto my current daily driver for at least 6 months until I have some level of confidence in my new Elio. Bigger companies than Elio have fumbled a new product roll out.
As an afterthought - Elio has been compared to Tesla a lot lately, business plan wise. Does Tesla accept trade ins? I've no idea, I'm 200+ miles and $60-80,000 away from a Tesla ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

All I know for sure is that they have been actively studying how to handle trades. Most Elio buyers will likely not need or want a trade in service for the reasons discussed in this thread however there will be a percentage of buyers who want or need a trade to make an easy purchase possible.

My opinion is that they will not accept trades directly as this just does not fit to their stripped down sales center approach. As some others have mentioned if EM has a trade program it will be via a business partnership with another company actually handling the trade in.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an afterthought - Elio has been compared to Tesla a lot lately, business plan wise. Does Tesla accept trade ins? I've no idea, I'm 200+ miles and $60-80,000 away from a Tesla ;)

By the looks of it they do. Not sure how it works. I Would buy a Tesla except they are too rich for me. Even the "affordable" one in the future is out of my reach.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

I just looked this up and apparently Tesla has a trade-in program provided via a partnership with AutoNation. Sounds very similar to what we have envisioned for Elio Motors and a business partner such as CarMax or AutoNation.

Top Bottom