• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Vehicle Options While Waiting For Your Elio

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Some of us have had to wait for our Elio longer than expected and that has meant that some have purchased a new car and others (like myself) have had to make due with an older one.
New cars are expensive and you have to interact with a dealer.
Leases are for 36 months minimum. So now what?

Lease takeover. There are more than one online sources for taking over other people's leases!
(I'm not sure if I can post them, so I'll wait for Moderator approval)

I found a 2012 Scion with 16 months left on the least, $224/month and no money down.
I was able to sell my old clunkers, keep me driving in a reliable car for a year, and have a few months to spare in the event of another Elio delay.

I just figured I'd open you up to a different option, and I'm open to other ideas.

Cheers

CE

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
An important consideration is that any "meanwhile" vehicle must pay for itself. The answer for me was a 2005 Honda Insight. It was $3000 and will pay for itself in gas savings alone by the time the Elio arrives. Given that the first generation Insight is very rare and increasingly collectible, I'll probably be able to sell it for more than I bought it for too. The insight is extremely reliable and there is a well-established enthusiast community at insightcentral.net.

I'm getting over 60 MPG in the Insight with a 42 mile daily commute.

Last edited:

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
We're going to make our 11 year old Cavalier ( 32 mpg city, 35+ highway ) last until our Elio rolls off the line. We just put about $1500 into it, including all new brakes including pads, disks and drums, new headlamp assemblies, and an engine tune up, replaced some hoses that were starting to crack from age. Our mechanic thinks we're good to go as there doesn't seem to be any other problems he can see or foresee at this time. If it dies, we still have the truck and will be a one car family until ...........:)

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2013 Chevy Sonic, 27,000+ miles
2000 Chevy Astro Van, 112,000 miles
2002 Chevy Cavalier, 165,000+ miles. At 110K, new struts, brakes, brake calipers, brake lines, disks and drums all round, fuel line, belts, hoses, gaskets, plugs, power steering pump, oil pump, plug wires, water pump, belt ( all were added over the first two years after 110K as preventive maintenance, nothing crapped out on me) and ran it though the car wash for the third time. Rust on body is minimal and none on frame. My maintenance man said it should be good for another 150K. My 17 year old daughter just started driving it.

Last edited:

JP

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not buy a used camry or accord around 10 years old? They'll be pretty reliable still and if you want the Elio, you can sell it fast and close to what you paid if you only keep it a few years.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:(
2020 Chevy Cavalier, 165,000+ miles. At 110K, new struts, brakes, brake calipers, brake lines, disks and drums all round, fuel line, belts, hoses, gaskets, plugs, power steering pump, oil pump, plug wires, water pump, belt ( all were added over the first two years after 110K as preventive maintenance, nothing crapped out on me) and ran it though the car wash for the third time. Rust on body is minimal and none on frame. My maintenance man said it should be good for another 150K. My 17 year old daughter just started driving it.
Craig, Cavalier is a good choice for your 17 yo. Just keep an Eye on maintenance and fluid levels kids that age never think to check anything but gas gage and even fail to look at that sometimes! :( That's how my daughter blew her first car, even though Mom gave her a maintenance schedule and showed her how to check fluid levels. It never crossed her mind. The hours we were working and her school schedule meant we were rarely home at the same time. She came home one day and said her car was making a funny noise. When I went out to check it, I knew right away the car was toast. Lesson learned!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2020 Chevy Cavalier, 165,000+ miles. At 110K, new struts, brakes, brake calipers, brake lines, disks and drums all round, fuel line, belts, hoses, gaskets, plugs, power steering pump, oil pump, plug wires, water pump, belt ( all were added over the first two years after 110K as preventive maintenance, nothing crapped out on me) and ran it though the car wash for the third time. Rust on body is minimal and none on frame. My maintenance man said it should be good for another 150K. My 17 year old daughter just started driving it.
That Cavalier must be a very rare vehicle since you say it is a 2020 and it is now only 2014! :-) Z

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
:(
Craig, Cavalier is a good choice for your 17 yo. Just keep an Eye on maintenance and fluid levels kids that age never think to check anything but gas gage and even fail to look at that sometimes! :( That's how my daughter blew her first car, even though Mom gave her a maintenance schedule and showed her how to check fluid levels. It never crossed her mind. The hours we were working and her school schedule meant we were rarely home at the same time. She came home one day and said her car was making a funny noise. When I went out to check it, I knew right away the car was toast. Lesson learned!

Goods things to remember.

She has been driving for two months now. She cleans house for a lady in town for $40 a week. She has filled it twice with gas and told me the other day she stopped in at Walmart and had the oil changed when she saw the little sticker in the corner of the window. Hopefully, this is a good sign of things to come.

Top Bottom