• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Color Will The Gas Cap Be?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well said. Some TPMS's work based on the antilock brake sensors. Some work on those senders in the tires. Still others work on cap sensors. Any way to take 4 sensors and connect them to the car without putting them in the wheels? Fake out the car, so to speak?
The TPMS and Brake lights are two separate indicators. The brake indicator is on because the parking brake was on.

The TPMS cannot be fooled since the senders only transmit when they are rotating. The TPMS computer cannot be disconnected because the car then throws a CEL which prevents it from passing emissions. :rolleyes: The only way to disable it is to disassemble the dash and physically murder the light. Or buy expensive wheels that can use the (also expensive) senders. Nope.

Which happens soon after that light comes on....
What does? Running dry? Nope. The light (below the "E") comes on when there is 1/8-1/16 of a tank left. And as I said, I still had two gallons left.

Last edited:

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The TPMS and Brake lights are two separate indicators. The brake indicator is on because the parking brake was on.

The TPMS cannot be fooled since the senders only transmit when they are rotating. The

What does? Running dry? Nope. The light (below the "E") comes on when there is 1/8-1/16 of a tank left. And as I said, I still had two gallons left.
Depends on your definition of "soon"... my wife is officially "out" of gas when she hits a 1/4 tank....

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a good primer on pumps and the last sentence says "Do not purchase fuel while a tanker-truck is filling the station tanks. This can stir debris that has settled in the tanks. Another factor is not allowing the tank to fall below one-quarter. Keeping the tank above this level can greatly extend the life of the fuel pump."

It's on teh Intarwebs from some random service station in Baton Rouge, so it must be true. :rolleyes: ;)

I think they are referring to the need to cool the pump. And while it doesn't hurt, it's not true unless you have a complete-garbage fuel pump or are stressing a very high-performance pump to near its limits. I've not killed an in-tank pump yet in the half-dozen cars I've driven the snot out of for the last 20 years. I drive on road-race tracks here in the Mid-Atlantic many times a year, several hours a day at triple-digit speeds with stock fuel pumps. No sweat.

Depends on your definition of "soon"... my wife is officially "out" of gas when she hits a 1/4 tank....
Defective gas gauge, sounds like. She drive a 1986 Chevy S10 pickup? :D They were notorious for being empty at 1/4 (or was it 1/8?) tank straight from the factory.

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's on teh Intarwebs from some random service station in Baton Rouge, so it must be true. :rolleyes: ;)

I think they are referring to the need to cool the pump. And while it doesn't hurt, it's not true unless you have a complete-garbage fuel pump or are stressing a very high-performance pump to near its limits. I've not killed an in-tank pump yet in the half-dozen cars I've driven the snot out of for the last 20 years. I drive on road-race tracks here in the Mid-Atlantic many times a year, several hours a day at triple-digit speeds with stock fuel pumps. No sweat.

Defective gas gauge, sounds like. She drive a 1986 Chevy S10 pickup? :D They were notorious for being empty at 1/4 (or was it 1/8?) tank straight from the factory.
Nothing wrong with the car.... just fuel paranoia on her part...

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ah! LOL, I missed the joke. :D :oops:

That makes her smarter than me anyway. ;)
At least it's gotten better, her new car give miles left (example 73 miles remaining), it used to be she would declare she was on fumes and not sure "if" she could make it to the gas station with only 1/4 tank... now I can say "umm I think you can make it to 7-11 (less then a mile from our house) with 73 miles remaining...

Top Bottom