• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Kind Of Motor Oil For Elio?

Bert

Elio Addict
Not out yet, but it'll probably be in the 5w-20 or 5w-30 range, based on modern engines and variable valve timing tech. Todays engines are nice and tight.

Mel

Elio Addict
Not out yet, but it'll probably be in the 5w-20 or 5w-30 range, based on modern engines and variable valve timing tech. Todays engines are nice and tight.
My guess would be 0w-20 since everyone now days is going for minimum friction for maximum fuel economy.

I recommend pure Unicorn oil for non-existent engines.
Just as a matter of interest, my Son rebuilds older English motorcycles, and he is very enthusiastic about Aero Shell motor oil. It's intended for air-cooled 4-cycle engines and is a low-ash oil. It comes in 2 grades. Myself, I would use Amsoil, one of their multi-viscosity grades. The tests on this show really good results. I like to tinker with small engines, and an Elio car would be a great hobbyist pastime, as it appears to be simple and easy to work on.

electroken

Elio Addict
It just seems odd to me that anyone would waste time wondering about what oil to use for an engine we can't even buy.

Of course, once we can buy it, half of us will disregard the manufacturers recommendations and do our own thing anyway.

electroken

Elio Addict
Using that logic, this board wouldn't exist.

Not so. I use this board to keep tabs on the project development. It's been a fascinating process to watch.

I'm guessing it will be at least 20 months until they build the 11,000th Elio, if at all. The last thing my virtual vehicle needs is oil.

Reactions: Elf