• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

What Safety Standards Is Elio Being Designed To Meet?

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I believe ELIO is not required to meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards since it is a 3 wheel vehicle but are the plans to design it to meet these Federal standards or some other safety standard?

My understanding is that it is being designed to meet the same standards as any other new car sold in America even though it is not required to meet those standards.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
EM will be ahead of any unlikely/likely government regulations, but their primary motivation for marketing 5 star safety was/is for general driving public acceptance and to inure sales. Safety is a key motivator (following affordability/mpg) for the huge number of early reservations. If successful EM will likely set the safety standards for future enclosed three wheelers. The push for the new autocycle classification could be good or bad as it relates to the potential for added government regulation.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
Hi Jim,

I agree with pretty much all of the responses here.

One interesting aspect: as the media refers to the Elio vehicle as "the tiny three-wheeler", the next thing to come into the mind of a person just learning about Elio, will be safety. They'll want to see safety info and testing results.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember the overlay of the Elio profile against a 2nd generation Insight (very close in length and shape)
length a pic parked between sedans (very close)road clearance/ seat height- matching many cars in production, width, well, it depends where you measure !!- :-)
Just bad press when they refer to it as "the tiny three wheeler" --tiny fits for the trunk!!

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I remember the overlay of the Elio profile against a 2nd generation Insight (very close in length and shape)
length a pic parked between sedans (very close)road clearance/ seat height- matching many cars in production, width, well, it depends where you measure !!- :-)
Just bad press when they refer to it as "the tiny three wheeler" --tiny fits for the trunk!!
Narrow three wheeler would be a more accurate description.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is that it is being designed to meet the same standards as any other new car sold in America even though it is not required to meet those standards.

Meeting the '5 Star' safety
rating has been one of the
4 Pillars of PE's initial
concept. This hasn't
changed from the get go.
The E series builds will
prove the tale.....

nickskeys

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My understanding is the Elio car gets a 5 star crash rating for MOTORCYCLES. Automobile crash testing doesn't apply to "Autocycles" or motorcycles.

Top Bottom