• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheel Fenders, Fairings, Skirts, Covers

evboy

Elio Addict
I think it is like this, Paul calls the shots as it is his product until money has changed hands.

I understand he calls the shots, but i want to know if it much more expensive to paint the black fenders the same color. Has anyone from elio said why they wont be painting the black parts the same color as the car.

goofyone

Staff member
Why cant the whole car be painted the same color. Is it a cost issue. Seems like a pretty simple thing to do.

It is simply a design decision. If you don't like it body matched or even color contrasting skirts will be an option.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
I think it is Elio's personal preference for them to be black.
I doubt cost has anything to do with it.

Stab in the dark here...but maybe the black parts on the rear of the fenders and surrounding the back wheel are made of a different, more impact tolerant/flexible material to prevent cracking when the road debris flips up. Possibly polyurethane or polypropylene. I tried to paint a kayak. Chipped and peeled easily using Plastikote and hours of prep...should've listened to the guys that tried it on the paddler's forum.

Edward43

Elio Addict
Nicely put Goofyone! :) Personally, I like the way the P4 looks, right out of the box. Gonna be my back-and-forth vehicle until I retire (8 years), saving me around $2500 or better per year in gas. Any modification will be purely to improve the mpg. Probably buy a second one in the future just to "play with" mod-wise.
That is realtime retirement savings, no stock market speculation required. Go Elio!

Edward43

Elio Addict
Not sure if this is fact (just assuming here) but I think the decision makes long term practical sense. Unlike a traditional car (also with a black raw plastic liner) the rear fender section of the wheels will be constantly pummeled by snow, rain, abrasive, rock, etc. Wouldn't take long for the trailing edge of the pretty front fenders to be paintless in no time. I think the same will hold true for the rear along with the certain scratching and damage from wheel removal, repair, etc. While my assumptions are probably just that, at this point I haven't seen any evidence of Elio just "Winging It" in regards to the build construction or cost. There is as they say "a method to their madness". At least thats what I am going with!! Another fender related assumption, I would guess along with better aerodynamics lowering the front fender edges would further assist in water dispersion. With the original design, I would bet in rainy weather all you would see from both side windows would be a rooster tail of water similar to a speed boat. Again, just an assumption but I do Love the changes and directions they are headed. As long as it ends up at the finish line!!!!
Those are very valid concerns.

Edward43

Elio Addict
The rear is squared off for the Kamm (back) deal. Take a long taper that is so slippery, then chop it off cleanly with a meat clever right behind the trunk and the airstream doesn't seem to notice that so much surface is missing, well, not for the most part.
Alas! and the "buffet" is eliminated. (Sorry Warren).

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
as a thought, I wonder if it would help to have the inside of the front and rear fenders coated with a Line-X type spray

Jim