• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Wheels & Tires

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As long as the two sizes are fairly common, I'm ok with it.
I beleive that AERO will have some influence on the pants and front tire size, rear size possibly calculated on contact patch vs stability requirements.
I've always preferred using the largest foot print (widest tire size) that will fit wheel width and clearance. The Michelins I have on my truck just barely rub at full lock but boy do I get great mileage and handling results. Generally 75 to 80K on a set of LT's.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
From the factory the Elio will be equipped with the narrowest front tires available and even those narrow tires are likely actually wider than engineers would say is necessary for a vehicle of this weight and stability requirements. Aero does play a factor in this however the even bigger issue is simply that, in a vehicle engineered to be this light and aerodynamic, using tires which are wider than necessary will result in a noticeable reduction in fuel economy due to the friction of the tires on the road.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From the factory the Elio will be equipped with the narrowest front tires available

it is my understanding the Cooper is coming up with at new tire for Elio Motors .... has any info been provided as to type of tread patter .... I can see folks in many parts of the country finding it wise to have two sets of tires, one with a regular street tread and the other with what we call a mud and snow .... then again, there is always the All Season tread pattern that might be useful .... if folks intend to take it on sand, a wider high flotation tire would be useful

Jim

Truett Collins

Elio Addict
Reaction score
it is my understanding the Cooper is coming up with at new tire for Elio Motors .... has any info been provided as to type of tread patter .... I can see folks in many parts of the country finding it wise to have two sets of tires, one with a regular street tread and the other with what we call a mud and snow .... then again, there is always the All Season tread pattern that might be useful .... if folks intend to take it on sand, a wider high flotation tire would be useful

Jim
From all I can gather, they do plan on the All Season tread.......

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From all I can gather, they do plan on the All Season tread.......

that would make the most sense to meet the needs of the largest market segment .... I do believe that we will see some with the fenders removed, sand rooster-tailing high flotation tires as they are climbing desert sand dunes ..:)

Jim

DWR

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Jim
I read somewhere (maybe even on this forum) the tires they plan to use is not a new tire, just new to the U.S., and is only used in Europe right now. Could be wrong about that, but I'm sure I saw that somwhere.:)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I read somewhere (maybe even on this forum) the tires they plan to use is not a new tire, just new to the U.S., and is only used in Europe right now. Could be wrong about that, but I'm sure I saw that somwhere.:)

good to know, that means they have real world use which hopefully shows good design and quality of build

Jim

Top Bottom