• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious where Elio came up with the advertised MPG value? It seems they are still screwing with the wheel pants and what not, so how did they get this value? Did they paint themselves into a corner by putting that value out of reach for a $7k vehicle? I would be just as impressed with a 70 MPG car. Have they ever hit 84 MPG in one of their working test models? My $9K motorcycle can only get 66 MPG. I am sure this is all in some computer model, but if that said 84, why not be a little more conservative to account for "reality"? Under-promise, over-deliver is how you get good press and happy customers.

Brian1362

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am curious where Elio came up with the advertised MPG value? It seems they are still screwing with the wheel pants and what not, so how did they get this value? Did they paint themselves into a corner by putting that value out of reach for a $7k vehicle? I would be just as impressed with a 70 MPG car. Have they ever hit 84 MPG in one of their working test models? My $9K motorcycle can only get 66 MPG. I am sure this is all in some computer model, but if that said 84, why not be a little more conservative to account for "reality"? Under-promise, over-deliver is how you get good press and happy customers.
They multiplied 28 X 3. 28 just "happens" to be the "overall average" of the "average" vechile today.

In one of the other threads, from someone who actually talked to Elio personnel in OKC, if I am not mistaken, they have achieved 81.4 so far. They are still reaching for the 84 MPG.

You are not alone in the idea of "just build the d**n thing."

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you for that bit of info. I hope they still have corners left to shave off without making too many sacrifices. The demo I sat in didn't feel very solid (door panel) and the interior, while not production, looked pretty cheap. And yes, I understand its just a demo, but they have my money! There are no boots on the ground in Shreveport yet! Hurry up! o_O :)

dunkybones

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Their first mileage rating was 66 miles per gallon which surpasses the twenty-five
year old standard adhered to by the Japanese automakers. However, since McClaren became
involved the rating has risen to 83 miles per gallon"

This quote is from this source: http://www.pontiac.mi.us/document_center/gers021010spec.pdf

Still doesn't explain why 84 mpg, but it does show they changed their original target. To the best of my knowledge no real world testing has been done, it's all been through computer simulation.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
"Their first mileage rating was 66 miles per gallon which surpasses the twenty-five
year old standard adhered to by the Japanese automakers. However, since McClaren became
involved the rating has risen to 83 miles per gallon"

This quote is from this source: http://www.pontiac.mi.us/document_center/gers021010spec.pdf

Still doesn't explain why 84 mpg, but it does show they changed their original target. To the best of my knowledge no real world testing has been done, it's all been through computer simulation.

As far as we are aware they have not actually installed a working engine in a vehicle yet. The first prototype engines were just completed in March and should be undergoing static testing at IAV right now in preparation for one to be installed in the P5 when that is put together which is expected this summer. We actually had some pictures taken in late February of the completed engine block on here for a bit but we took them down as they were not meant to be released to the public at that time.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as we are aware they have not actually installed a working engine in a vehicle yet. The first prototype engines were just completed in March and should be undergoing static testing at IAV right now in preparation for one to be installed in the P5 when that is put together which is expected this summer. We actually had some pictures taken in late February of the completed engine block on here for a bit but we took them down as they were not meant to be released to the public at that time.

Didn't someone post the goal was 84 with AC running, meaning it should be somewhere around 90 MPG?
upload_2014-5-15_19-38-46.jpeg

Top Bottom