• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Did 84 Mpg Come From?

Ryan

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
At one point many years ago someone had invented a carburetor believed to be capable on 100 mpg. The government bought the rights to it and it was never seen again. And this was in the day of the V8, this was done by those in power who made money on oil. So I guess anything is possible.
[citation needed]

Ryan

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
You keep referring to this 100mpg carburetor as a fact, but with no evidence. Please provide your source. Thanks!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
T
I don't intend to get into a flame war with you guys, if you don't believe what I tell you I won't bother anymore.
Touchy. I thought you were making a joke. Sorry. I didn't think anyone really believed those "government is hiding it" theories. I won't mention it again. Once again, sorry... I'd like this forum to stay civil.

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Carburetor that get 100 mpg, patented 41 years ago should have an expired patent by now?

Of course BIG OIL bought the patent and shelved it so oil dependency would continue.

Now 41 years later I am wondering how difficult it is to go back through old patents and sort the junk that should work from the gold that does work?

Can it be done online or must one go to an office and look through cabinets or hire one of the patent office employees to search?

Yes, like anyone else I would like to make some money but more so, I am fed up with BIG OIL!" id="yui_3_9_1_9_1398908969550_556" style="margin-bottom: 10px;">When I was 7 years old I heard some adults talking about the carburetor that was invented that if installed on most any car would get 100 miles to a gallon of gas or there about.

Of course BIG OIL bought the patent and shelved it so oil dependency would continue.

Now 41 years later I am wondering how difficult it is to go back through old patents and sort the junk that should work from the gold that does work?

Can it be done online or must one go to an office and look through cabinets or hire one of the patent office employees to search?

Yes, like anyone else I would like to make some money but more so, I am fed up with BIG OIL!

Best AnswerAsker's Choice
profile_b48.png
  • bcnu answered 12 months ago
US patents issued prior to 1995 expired 17 years after issue. Things after that expire 20 years after filing; things pending in 1995 expire 20 years after filing or 17 years after issue, whichever is later.

All US patents are available online at uspto.gov. Recent patents can be searched by keyword or class or inventor or owner. Earlier patents can be displayed only by patent number.

google.com/patents has a somewhat better search engine and includes many (if not all) older patents. There are many other patent-searching tools online or available through a searching service.

BTW: There are also "patent repositories" ("Patent and Trademark Resource Centers") scattered around the country, in which copies of every US patent and US registered trademark can be found in printed form. They are arranged in "shoes", not cabinets, sorted by class and subclass, and by date. Good luck with that. There are hundreds of thousands of patents related to internal-combustion engines.
Source:
http://www.uspto.gov/products/library/pt...

PhilGoings

Elio Addict
Reaction score
T

Touchy. I thought you were making a joke. Sorry. I didn't think anyone really believed those "government is hiding it" theories. I won't mention it again. Once again, sorry... I'd like this forum to stay civil.

Sorry I went off like that, I see a propensity on these threads for people to attack if they don't like what is posted.
Ryan there is your documentation you asked for.

Last edited:
Top Bottom