• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Where Do You Stand Now?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
@ DBN, I can't argue this better than goofyone has. I think our interpretation that the big auto's are conservative is just very different than yours.

Good point JNR.

I hope no one is taking any of this personally. Everyone is entitled to their opinions and they are entitled to present and defend their opinions on here. Even though we may feel strongly about our own opinions in the end we are all here because we want to see Elio succeed.

Everyone has defended their opinions well and stayed way from any personal commentary or attacks which is just the way it should be. These discussions help keep this forum lively.

Last edited:

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why would the majors even attempt to sell something this different when they are successful doing what they are currently doing? Like all large enterprises they tend to be very risk averse as failures can easily cost long term employees, and highly paid executives, their careers. As a result they have a tendency to choose the safest route and do what they have always done but with some slight changes over time. It takes someone else trying something out of the ordinary and being somewhat successful for them to seriously consider something different. Of course this means that if Elio is successful at what they are trying to do there is a good chance someone else will either buy them out or attempt to compete against them but that is how business works.

It is a fact that three wheeled motorcycles have been a very successful, and profitable, segment of the motorcycle industry for a number of years now to the point that a few years ago even Harley Davidson got into the business directly after sitting on the sidelines for years watching others convert their bikes into trikes and sell them for crazy amounts of money. Can-Am has also been very successful at selling their Spyder trike at 2-3 times the cost of the Elio. I believe Elio is actually a logical extension of this movement and expands it to include many outside the traditional motorcycle market since it is fully enclosed and has a car like interior and controls.
Well said. EM is the guinea pig right now and if they turned out to be a success somebody else will follow suit....which is better for the buying public so they can have a choice. ;)

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Actually you just proved my point by admitting the big automakers would not take a chance but an outsider like Elon Musk was able to be successful at doing what the majors would not even try even though he had to start an entire company from scratch to do it just like Mr Elio is attempting to do now.

No I didn't, I said(implied) majors would not take a chance on electric car again after what happened to GM. So GM DID take a chance, a risk, the other automakers saw what happened to GM and did not want risk losing a billion dollars on an electric car. So you are CEO of an automaker, would you green light a known loser?

Is a 3 wheeler using existing components a risk? No. Could they do it for less than Elio? Economies of scale would suggest so. If they thought it would make them money they would build it. Period. They sell entry level vehicles in emerging markets. Test the waters. Like selling a 3 wheeler in Thailand or South America or other emerging markets. If they (automakers, motorcycle companies) saw a demand (DEMAND not a niche) for an enclosed 3 wheeler they would sell one. Ford does not see a demand for a truly cheap entry level car (neither does anyone else), that's why we don't see the Ford Figo, VW UP or GO. VW was considering bringing the Polo to the USA, even announced it, ultimately did not. Companies do test the waters. They would consider a 3 wheeler if they saw demand.

It's been 6 years since the Elio concept came out. Not 1 mule on the road. I would like to/want to see it happen. It's not regulations, it's funding.........It's going to be a long year.........I'm losing faith fast.

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
@ DBN, I can't argue this better than goofyone has. I think our interpretation that the big auto's are conservative is just very different than yours.
I guess building a car knowing your not going to make any money off it is conservative? Ever hear of the term "halo" car? A Halo car is anything but conservative.

Last edited:

DBN477

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why would the majors even attempt to sell something this different when they are successful doing what they are currently doing?

How different is this Elio design? The design dates back to the 1950's Messerschmitt. I would really like to know the cd's for both vehicles.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I feel like switching off for a while maybe until June or when EM announce something more substantial. Today's Tech Talk was nice and all but they can't sweet talk me with all the standard features and or options available without seeing one actually installed in one of their prototypes let alone the IAV engine. More prototypes means more waiting which means the cost to produce this car will only get more expensive! I still believe in this Elio car and if Paul Elio plays his cards well, the wait will be sooner than later. ;)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
No I didn't, I said(implied) majors would not take a chance on electric car again after what happened to GM. So GM DID take a chance, a risk, the other automakers saw what happened to GM and did not want risk losing a billion dollars on an electric car. So you are CEO of an automaker, would you green light a known loser?

You are correct other automakers were too conservative and would not take a chance but that just proves my point that an outsider did manage to come along, Tesla, and was able to do what the majors would not even when Elon Musk had to spend all kinds of extra money to build an entirely new company around it.

Automakers actually do occasionally green light a known loser usually because of government getting involved in their business. The Chevrolet Volt is currently being sold at an estimated loss of $40,000 per car. The only reason it is available to buy right now is that they agreed to build it when they were bailed out by the taxpayers.

KScarguy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with switching off for a while. I don't see any real progress from Elio. The dash design is a step backwards that seems aimed at the younger generation and I am less interested in the vehicle. Elio is a design company and that's what they keep doing, changing the design. With every change they make they risk more delays in production.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I understand we all want to see more movement however for months now they have not promised us anything until June as that is when the engine is supposed to be delivered from IAV. At that point we better see the final engine and transmission being installed in the P5. If June comes and goes but we have not seen anything from them then I will begin to doubt their ability to deliver as promised.

Top Bottom