• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Who Will Take 100 Preproduction Of Eilo In Dec 2016?

raptor213

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with the premise that Elio ought to pursue high-profile celebrities with vast social media presence and access to paparazzi and news/tabloid reporters in order to garner media exposure.

The whole principal of a vehicle being in a pre-production stage of development is that the company is not yet confident enough in the product's ability to meet or exceed stated goals and objectives prior to being willing to accept financial transactions in exchange for producing their widgets.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fleet purchasers/lessees all are required to sign Non-Disclosure Agreements with Elio Motors, agreeing not to share publicly any comments or complaints that they have and to only communicate with a designated liaison or point-of-contact within Elio Motors.

The new IAV engine has a tendency to overheat during stop-and-go city driving? The brakes aren't calibrated correctly and constantly trigger the anti-lock braking system, jerking the vehicle to a stop at every red light? The fuel gauge indicates 1/4-tank remaining and yet you ran out of fuel? The stick on the steering column appears to have erratic electric contacts with the windshield wiper and/or turn signal wiring harnesses? The air conditioning works but the compressor clutch constantly over speeds and fails? Residual heat from the unique placement of the exhaust pipe causes the rear passenger's right arm rest to be uncomfortably hot to the touch after extended periods of highway driving? Weather-stripping is not aligned properly with the curvature of the body frame, allowing rain water to drip onto interior components?

All of the above hypothetical problems are simple enough to troubleshoot and engineer a solution to solve. But the last thing the company needs is some loose-lipped ego-centric celebrity taking their concerns and sharing them on social media platforms or with the mainstream media.

Scott Berridge

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what the mix of manual to AMT transmissions will be on those 100 pre-production models. Since fleet vehicles are used by a wide range of drivers and a large majority of American drivers today have never even driven a manual, my guess is that the majority of the models will be AMT equipped models. That bodes well for those of us who anticipate ordering our Elio's with AMT. That will provide a valid road test and feedback on the AMT.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I disagree with the premise that Elio ought to pursue high-profile celebrities with vast social media presence and access to paparazzi and news/tabloid reporters in order to garner media exposure.

The whole principal of a vehicle being in a pre-production stage of development is that the company is not yet confident enough in the product's ability to meet or exceed stated goals and objectives prior to being willing to accept financial transactions in exchange for producing their widgets.

I wouldn't be surprised if the fleet purchasers/lessees all are required to sign Non-Disclosure Agreements with Elio Motors, agreeing not to share publicly any comments or complaints that they have and to only communicate with a designated liaison or point-of-contact within Elio Motors.

The new IAV engine has a tendency to overheat during stop-and-go city driving? The brakes aren't calibrated correctly and constantly trigger the anti-lock braking system, jerking the vehicle to a stop at every red light? The fuel gauge indicates 1/4-tank remaining and yet you ran out of fuel? The stick on the steering column appears to have erratic electric contacts with the windshield wiper and/or turn signal wiring harnesses? The air conditioning works but the compressor clutch constantly over speeds and fails? Residual heat from the unique placement of the exhaust pipe causes the rear passenger's right arm rest to be uncomfortably hot to the touch after extended periods of highway driving? Weather-stripping is not aligned properly with the curvature of the body frame, allowing rain water to drip onto interior components?

All of the above hypothetical problems are simple enough to troubleshoot and engineer a solution to solve. But the last thing the company needs is some loose-lipped ego-centric celebrity taking their concerns and sharing them on social media platforms or with the mainstream media.
I agree it is important to control who has opportunities to operate the vehicles, but I do not believe celebrities are the danger. Celebrities follow the unspoken rules of Hollywood that they should always be pleasant and never make unpleasant statements. Hence their usual utterance is fluff.

I believe the real problem is from people like the guy from the chic website who commented the Elio was the most weird car he had ever driven. I can not remember who he is, but he came across to me as having a "snotty" and aloof attitude. These are the real "dangerous" people more than celebrities, which always spew "fluff".

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree it is important to control who has opportunities to operate the vehicles, but I do not believe celebrities are the danger. Celebrities follow the unspoken rules of Hollywood that they should always be pleasant and never make unpleasant statements. Hence their usual utterance is fluff.

I believe the real problem is from people like the guy from the chic website who commented the Elio was the most weird car he had ever driven. I can not remember who he is, but he came across to me as having a "snotty" and aloof attitude. These are the real "dangerous" people more than celebrities, which always spew "fluff".
Exposing the ELIO to the general public and to the whole world watching it's performance is something that can't be kept quiet about. Yes it's going to fleet customers/drivers who will make their own opinions no matter how they're "coached" to keep any potential problem/s to themselves. And God forbid, if the ELIO is involved in an accident, fatal or not, it will be in prime time news faster than they can figure out what caused it. Generating some income from the 100 pre-prod is one thing, but doing it to test the market?? To test it's durability??? Testing 1-2 E-series out there on real world scenario, so long as these units was produced on their actual production lines will give them all the validation they need to go full scale or at least to deliver the first 65K units allotted to reservationists. Am I whining again???:D:D

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

It is weird...it's half a car. Some young people are snotty. They can't all possibly be as cool as we were as kids.........I mean as cool as we are.
I like weird and if it's fun to drive, I'll buy the weird little vehicle.

The Elio, Solo, And SRK are all weird three wheelers and market acceptance will be a challenge, but all they need to manufacture in a year is 250,000 units and they may be profitable. Motorcycle numbers. That's the number of Harley's sold in a year as I recall.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is weird...it's half a car. Some young people are snotty. They can't all possibly be as cool as we were as kids.........I mean as cool as we are.
I like weird and if it's fun to drive, I'll buy the weird little vehicle.

The Elio, Solo, And SRK are all weird three wheelers and market acceptance will be a challenge, but all they need to manufacture in a year is 250,000 units and they may be profitable. Motorcycle numbers. That's the number of Harley's sold in a year as I recall.

The company said it is lowering its full-year shipment guidance. Harley-Davidson now expects to ship 264,000 to 269,000 motorcycles to dealers worldwide in 2016, down from 269,000 to 274,000 motorcycles, noting that it is consistent with its long-standing commitment to manage supply in line with demand.

Top Bottom