• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Buy Elio (don't Worry, I'm All In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
the type of use will most certainly vary from owner to owner ....

if 0-60 performance it a person's critical criteria and they are happy with a Leaf, they should certainly stay with it and not spend their money on an Elio

no currently marketed BEV priced anywhere near an Elio is capable of traveling the distances and speed that is being designed into an Elio .... as for paying for itself, their fuel savings related finance option offers some attractive possibilities ....

for commuting short distances at low speeds, BEV's can offer some decent options .... ones for traveling distances and/or traveling at higher speeds, they simply don't exist .... defrosters, heaters, air conditioners and most any other option that require battery power aren't usually available .... if they are, they lower the range .... there is real world and there is fantasy

The Leaf now uses a heat pump for heating...which is very efficient so it has a limited effect on efficiency, A/C is a different story.

You're absolutely correct though. It's always going to be a "needs" based decision. If people had the same needs we wouldn't have as much choice as we do.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
"needs" based with pure economics thrown in .... Nissan has some nice lines of vehicles .... out the door pricing on a new Leaf falls in the $30,000 + range .... people who are happy with the price and the vehicle would be well worth giving it consideration .... as repeatedly noted, it simply isn't anywhere close to the Elio $7,000 +/- price point .... the price point makes unrealistic to draw parallels between them

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"needs" based with pure economics thrown in .... Nissan has some nice lines of vehicles .... out the door pricing on a new Leaf falls in the $30,000 + range .... people who are happy with the price and the vehicle would be well worth giving it consideration .... as repeatedly noted, it simply isn't anywhere close to the Elio $7,000 +/- price point .... the price point makes unrealistic to draw parallels between them

The OTD price on my '16 Leaf SV was $23k. Yes, that's still MUCH more expensive than the Elio...but we have two kids 2 and 4, and my wife has an entirely stop-and-go 2 mile drive to work everyday. The Elio wouldn't work for us unless we absolutely never needed a 2nd car that can carry two kids...which is certainly not the case.

Not everyone can make the Elio work, even at the much lower new car price point...so I think you can still draw parallels based on "need" and a desire to reduce your carbon footprint.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, automotive manufacturers employ thousands of people, as well...who pay taxes. I would like to point out that I think tax breaks for individuals is a better use of a subsidy, than the Govt. directly funding oil companies...as is the case with the "Depletion Allowance."

Anyway, the point is that subsidies are performed across the board, I don't see a reason to single one out over another.

"Depletion Allowance"
The oil depletion allowance in American (US) tax law is an allowance claimable by anyone with an economic interest in a mineral deposit or standing timber.
So as you can see, it doesn't just apply to oil.

What I really can't understand is why you are even here if you are so negative about ICE, and oil in general.

johnsnownw

Elio Addict
Reaction score
"Depletion Allowance"
The oil depletion allowance in American (US) tax law is an allowance claimable by anyone with an economic interest in a mineral deposit or standing timber.
So as you can see, it doesn't just apply to oil.

What I really can't understand is why you are even here if you are so negative about ICE, and oil in general.

I'm not sure why the allowance being applicable to other mineral deposits and timber makes a difference, it's still applicable to oil.

I didn't think I was particularly being negative about oil and ICE, though I would call myself a BEV advocate. I find Elio interesting, and my father is interested...but doesn't bother to keep up. He asks me every time I see him, so I try to stay informed.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I prefer not to single out a vehicle platform that doesn't happen to meet my personal needs. ICE, Hybrids, and electric's make for a nice mix. It's all fantasy at the moment.......since I can't buy the Elio or the affordable, functional EV of choice. No sense discussing EV's with people that see no value............past, present, or future..........in EVs. I appreciate the options that provide me a choice.........and I will choose them both for urban and suburban commuting and varied driving conditions. Buy what you Like, Like what you Drive.

WilliamH, To support, discuss, and reply to negative comments regarding EV's does not make one negative to ICE and oil in general. I like and see value in both..........some we can drive in today's market.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The OTD price on my '16 Leaf SV was $23k. Yes, that's still MUCH more expensive than the Elio...but we have two kids 2 and 4, and my wife has an entirely stop-and-go 2 mile drive to work everyday. The Elio wouldn't work for us unless we absolutely never needed a 2nd car that can carry two kids...which is certainly not the case.

Not everyone can make the Elio work, even at the much lower new car price point...so I think you can still draw parallels based on "need" and a desire to reduce your carbon footprint.

Different markets -- the Elio doesn't compete in the 2-kids-and-a-dog market, only in the market for people who drive substantial distances alone every day -- or who can afford an extra car. I'm in that bracket -- keep the Forester for hauling the lawnmower or other heavy crap, and for getting up our snowed-in ski slope of a driveway -- but 95% of the time the Elio is perfect -- room for me, adequate baggage and camera gear, and that's all I need. Wife keeps her hybrid camry which we use for lengthy trips as a couple.

I've done the math on this more than once -- even with gas at giveaway prices, it's still cheaper to buy, insure, and operate an Elio than to drive my Subaru (which is paid for). I might even decommission the Subaru and save enough to rent a new one when blizzards threaten.

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Perhaps the pro and con ICE vs EV discussion should be tabled until there is an Elio ICE and an Elio Electric model to discuss.

I think the real issue is a total lack of understanding about "depletion allowances" vs. "subsidies" to individual tax payers for buying BPVs (Battery Powered Vehicles). Keep in mind that the people making batteries for BPVs get the same "depletion allowances" that oil companies receive.
As far as BPVs, they are a good and valid, if overpriced, form of transportation and have been for over 100 years. Even Henry Ford's wife drove a BPV (a Baker Electric). And there were charging points around New York City. They got about 100 miles on a charge.
As far as the environment, I was hoping for a nice steady drizzle today so I could burn 2 or 3 tons of "ashe juniper". What we call "cedar" in Texas Hill Country. Oh well. I'll just get out my chainsaw and cut more.

Inigo93

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to make a counter point to some of what's already been said.....

Some of us live in areas where motorcycles *are* 4-season transportation. I paid $2k for a like-new bike with 2k miles on it. Thus, I can buy $4800 worth of gas. At $3/gal that's 1600 gallons. I average 62 mpg. Thus, I can ride 99,200 miles before I spend $6800.

Elio ain't beating that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom