• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Why Buy Elio (don't Worry, I'm All In)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is odd that States would push for high mileage cars. Isn't there revenue in fuel tax? What would happen to the roads if everyone drove Electric vehicles? That money doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

Mike Badgle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Cool video! But curious, how can a mail man afford to buy a Tesla?

That's a great question, he said "I can drive whatever I want" so he probably has some kind of financial arrangement to help make sense. He stated his trip is 124 miles, and at $3.00 a day (he is probably rounding down, but let's agree that he is accurate) his per mile "cost of fuel" is $0.024. My calculation on the original post was $0.028. His is actual based on his power bill (we have to assume) and mine was just engineering estimates.
Just Sayin'

Mike Badgle

Elio Fan
Reaction score
It is odd that States would push for high mileage cars. Isn't there revenue in fuel tax? What would happen to the roads if everyone drove Electric vehicles? That money doesn't just appear out of nowhere.

Great point - our local utility just requested an across the board increase in access fees because "people are using electricity more efficiently and our income stream is dropping". So the same problem will occur as more and more higher mileage and EVs hit the road. There will come an EV tax that you will have to pay to offset the gas taxes you are no longer paying, so they can keep the roads maintained to drive (whatever your choice of) vehicle on.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The federal incentives are gone - they only apply to the first 200,000 vehicles delivered. So even if you made a reservation on the first day for Tesla 3, it is likely you missed out on that $10,000 incentive. States may still offer something. But the point is, you have to WANT and Tesla, it will never make economic sense.
A $35K Tesla will never make economic sense? It makes economic sense for me.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's a great question, he said "I can drive whatever I want" so he probably has some kind of financial arrangement to help make sense. He stated his trip is 124 miles, and at $3.00 a day (he is probably rounding down, but let's agree that he is accurate) his per mile "cost of fuel" is $0.024. My calculation on the original post was $0.028. His is actual based on his power bill (we have to assume) and mine was just engineering estimates.
Just Sayin'
He went from a stated $25 + fuel cost with his former vehicle down to $3 per day with his Tesla. That's $22 + per day in fuel savings X 24 delivery days/month = $528/month applied to a monthly own/lease payment on a base $70K Tesla Model S. If my math is correct.

Last edited:

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That's not entirely accurate. Once a manufacturer hits 200k (domestic) sales, the $7500 tax credit will continue for two more quarters. That's 6 months of unlimited full tax credit. Then it drops to $3500, and then $1750, and then it's gone. However, many States may still have incentives on the books after the federal credit runs out.
I'm quite certain Texas will NOT be one of those states. But the Peoples Republic of Austin might have a subsidy for those in it's city/state limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom