• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Other Drivers See Us?

Areyouhigh

Reaction score
In the time I've had to dream about my new Elio (Production # 10xxx) I've put thought into this quite a bit. As I'm thinking of going for the black, I was concerned too about visibility, especially of the front wheels. Luckily I have a certified Mercedes body man I can bounce ideas off and have come to the conclusion that I'd like to put LEDs, either on (through) the backs of the front fenders or along the suspension arms and have them tied into the blinker/brake lighting system. Shouldn't affect aero too much and it would be a nice custom touch if one were to go with color changing LEDs for when the car is stationary.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In the time I've had to dream about my new Elio (Production # 10xxx) I've put thought into this quite a bit. As I'm thinking of going for the black, I was concerned too about visibility, especially of the front wheels. Luckily I have a certified Mercedes body man I can bounce ideas off and have come to the conclusion that I'd like to put LEDs, either on (through) the backs of the front fenders or along the suspension arms and have them tied into the blinker/brake lighting system. Shouldn't affect aero too much and it would be a nice custom touch if one were to go with color changing LEDs for when the car is stationary.
Areyouhign
areyouhigh, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. Here you will find the latest information about the development and production of the Elio. We try to keep the forum informative and entertaining and welcome your questions, comments, and opinions. Enjoy both the Elio experience and the journey with your friends here on the forum.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Areyouhign
areyouhigh, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. Here you will find the latest information about the development and production of the Elio. We try to keep the forum informative and entertaining and welcome your questions, comments, and opinions. Enjoy both the Elio experience and the journey with your friends here on the forum.

This has possibilities:
:)

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Yes Zelio - the tape comes in multiple colors.
Here's a link to 3M's product information page: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...J31LAE00N7000000_nid=RJZ403HSPMbe4R8NR0SM2Pgl

Here's a link to the image: http://www.webbikeworld.com/images/reflective-tape/3m-reflective-tape-large.gif

I've currently have this tape on my utility trailer and have used it on every boat trailer I've owned. I've always used the classic red and white alternating color pattern. All my applications of the tape have been applied directly to a metal surface - never a painted surface. I have some concerns about the tape on a painted surface as it might damage the paint during removal. That being said the tape is designed for a very long service life and should last many, many years.
I don't know if it is the same brand, but all of our work trucks have red and white reflective tape asking the sides of the bed. Applied directly in painted surfaces. I don't know about intentionally removing tape, but where it's worn off over time, the paint is intact.
Of course, even with reflective take and tons of blinking lights, people still seem to have trouble seeing a 6 ton vehicle!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if it is the same brand, but all of our work trucks have red and white reflective tape asking the sides of the bed. Applied directly in painted surfaces. I don't know about intentionally removing tape, but where it's worn off over time, the paint is intact.
Of course, even with reflective take and tons of blinking lights, people still seem to have trouble seeing a 6 ton vehicle!

It never fails to amaze me just how distracted drivers are behind the wheel these days and what they mange to run into while driving that way.:eek:

I think I wrote earlier that this past summer I was riding in a 40 foot long 12+ foot tall RV, which is basically a moving wall when you are beside it, when someone talking on a cell phone actually attempted to change lanes right into the side of the RV. :mad:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It never fails to amaze me just how distracted drivers are behind the wheel these days and what they mange to run into while driving that way.:eek:

I think I wrote earlier that this past summer I was riding in a 40 foot long 12+ foot tall RV, which is basically a moving wall when you are beside it, when someone talking on a cell phone actually attempted to change lanes right into the side of the RV. :mad:

sadly, all too well understood

Jim

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've had good luck using 3M's reflective materials on my motorcycles as part of
a simple "Wrap", It appears black during the day and reflects silver at night.
AZRattler, welcome to the forum and the Elio family. Glad you decided to join this group of Elio enthusiasts and hope you enjoy the forum. We try to keep it informative and entertaining and welcome your questions, comments, and opinions. Enjoy the Elio experience and the journey with your new friends on the forum.

Top Bottom