• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Will Other Drivers See Us?

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That is certainly a huge concern.

Also concerned about that inevitable FIRST fatal crash. Surely law suits will follow, the whole thing will turn nasty, and how will vehicle liability affect Elio Motors and the future of a young company?

Something to think about.
That why I want mine in the first year of production. Our law-suit happy society has a tendency to wipe good ideas off the map.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The reverse trike (motorcycle) market has already widely demonstrated the issue.View attachment 3541
I really like those! But I'm not convinced that these lights on the fender of a CanAm demonstrates an issue concerning a danger with the front wheels. To me it demonstrates the power of aftermarket. Granted, to be seen is to be safe but I haven't heard of a rash of accidents due to people cutting to close to a Spyder's front wheels. I guess I wonder if this is truly a danger or only a concern being magnified as the result of no experience in driving a vehicle like this. Like I said though, to be seen is to be safe, so if it puts you at ease go for it!

archer5013

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
elio4_front_line_art.jpg
I really like those! But I'm not convinced that these lights on the fender of a CanAm demonstrates an issue concerning a danger with the front wheels. To me it demonstrates the power of aftermarket. Granted, to be seen is to be safe but I haven't heard of a rash of accidents due to people cutting to close to a Spyder's front wheels. I guess I wonder if this is truly a danger or only a concern being magnified as the result of no experience in driving a vehicle like this. Like I said though, to be seen is to be safe, so if it puts you at ease go for it!

Have you driven many vehicles with outboard chassis/suspension which extends 16" beyond the body?
If so, how does that work out in heavy traffic (with an abundance of distracted drivers, gamers, drunks, pill-heads, etc.)?

Last edited:

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
View attachment 3597

Have you driven many vehicles with outboard chassis/suspension which extends 16" beyond the body?
If so, how does that work out in heavy traffic (with an abundance of distracted drivers, gamers, drunks, pill-heads, etc.)?
Nope, sure haven't! That's what I mean though, there has been all sorts of suggestions that it's potentially hazardous but are there any stats? Something besides tossing out hazards that effect us all in regular cars and on motorcycles or walking for that matter. Is it a real hazard or simply a perceived hazard. How many CanAms have had their outboard chassis/suspension clipped. I haven't heard of any.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks Wheaters, that is good to see and know. Is that a question in the UK, the extended, unprotected wheel getting clipped? I guess I sort of assume if it does get clipped, a regular car would also have gotten hit at about the same area, the only difference would be a car body would have gotten hit instead.

Mike W

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as I know, the only time a front fender of a Liege has been clipped was car #2 on a foreign tour. A camper van came around a blind corner on the wrong side of a narrow mountain road, from the opposite direction and the car got clipped, wrecking the front suspension. If it had been a normal car it would still have got hit.
Exactly!

Music Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That why I want mine in the first year of production. Our law-suit happy society has a tendency to wipe good ideas off the map.
I agree with you. Lawyers ARE snakes that feed on the innocent. . . . . And call it "protecting" us from evil.

They will watch the track record closely.

I apologize now for any snakes that I may have offended, BEFORE you respond.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I probably will install some type of reflector on the back of my fenders. I think it maybe sort of a safety issue ,especially on a black Elio ,where a car passing may not fully see your front wheel. At night, I think they could all use it no matter what color though.

Drivers coming toward you could also misjudge the width of the vehicle, even with reflectors all around. It's similar to a one-eyed car mistaken for a motorcycle; the left headlight is the most risky one to lose. If there's a way to put guide-lights on the Elio fenders they should add those. Or place them on arms sticking sideways from the body if wires to the wheel pods would be too fragile.

Puna bob

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am thinking of installing low profile LED fender lights like these and running a wire to the turn signals
so they not only act as running lights but also act as turn signals on the outriggers.
If this gets to be too much of a hassle I'll just use reflective tape but I will make them visible at night one way or another.

Attachments

• anzo-led-fender-lights.jpg
    anzo-led-fender-lights.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 181

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am thinking of installing low profile LED fender lights like these and running a wire to the turn signals
so they not only act as running lights but also act as turn signals on the outriggers.
If this gets to be too much of a hassle I'll just use reflective tape but I will make them visible at night one way or another.
I like the idea of a quality looking reflector mounted low on the bottom or side of the front fenders so drivers passing have a visual reference........over lights which require exposed wiring and or reflector tape which may look like tape stuck on the fender.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom