• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

04/04/15 - Technology Tell -we Lay Eyes On The Elio At Ny International Auto Show

W. WIllie

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good article. very positive thinking. I especially liked the part about the "Cooper" tires. A few years back COOPER did make a LRR tire but it was in the 165 65 14 size.
I almost got a set from my G1 to try, vs the Bridgestone RE 92's LRR., which are excellent for the MPG game.

Willie

BaldGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I hope this don't play out like Ford and Firestone a few years back. Which ended in Ford sending all us owners checks for a new set of tires which I'm sure wasn't too easy on there pocketbook.

I'm all for saving MPG, but not at the expense of a tire that will blow out easily. We got tons of potholes and weird surfaces here in Northern WV, that even cuts "normal" tires down from time to time.

If they do run a cheap one, I hope I can at least replace it with a beefy tire. I'd sooner lose 5 mpg then run a crappy tire.

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I hope this don't play out like Ford and Firestone a few years back. Which ended in Ford sending all us owners checks for a new set of tires which I'm sure wasn't too easy on there pocketbook.

I'm all for saving MPG, but not at the expense of a tire that will blow out easily. We got tons of potholes and weird surfaces here in Northern WV, that even cuts "normal" tires down from time to time.

If they do run a cheap one, I hope I can at least replace it with a beefy tire. I'd sooner lose 5 mpg then run a crappy tire.
You would be better off changing the tires for softer ones. The cooper tire is meant for smooth surfaces It sacrifices handling and strength for fuel economy.

Reactions: Ekh

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Perhaps the light weight vehicle will offset any tire issues.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

amen .... but, you can count on EM going with the cheapest tire that they feel will meet their wants/needs .... I haven't heard anyone mention if an optional tire upgrade will be available

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tire Issues:

You would be better off changing the tires for softer ones. The cooper tire is meant for smooth surfaces It sacrifices handling and strength for fuel economy.

Perhaps the light weight vehicle will offset any tire issues.

amen .... but, you can count on EM going with the cheapest tire that they feel will meet their wants/needs .... I haven't heard anyone mention if an optional tire upgrade will be available

Go to about 22:35 in the press conference

to hear about the tire issues.
Pretty good explanation of the tires.

Graemexx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Tire Issues:

Tire Issues:

Hope they are not run flat tires, had on BMW and they make low resistance tires seem good. Would be better to change out factory tires for something better, even if you lose a couple of MPG's. Trouble is, it would be hard to get a good deal on three tires, especially two different sizes.

Top Bottom