• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

100 Mpg Using 200 Year Old Technology

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before I even opened the article, my first thought was, "So, did he use a stirling engine?"

Yup, that's what it is. But as a generator for an electric car, which is actually kind of brilliant. Because the stirling is an external-combustion engine, you can operate it with any sort of fuel without risking damage to the engine. So in theory, you could build a wood-fired hybrid electric if you wanted to.

I read about NASAs experiments with stirling cars, and they were trying to operate it like a typical ICE, where the stirling drove the wheels directly. Operating the stirling as a constant-RPM generator makes it far more efficient (and better suited to the stirling cycle). The wonderful thing about this is, because it is a heat-difference engine, it would function even more efficiently in cold weather.

Okay, so I am really taken with this idea.

Now, if we could try this with this stirling Quasiturbine concept, that would be pretty sweet!

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Definitely not a new idea. A lot of the issues up to now were the bulk of Sterling Engines in times past. And they do get less efficient as they get smaller.

Interestingly, one of the research Viking cars at Western Washington University link, replaced the sterling with IR solar cells to create the Viking ? 23 ?.
The benefit here was size and flexibility in the package shape. Absolutely any fuel was possible for the technology, even straw, depending on the repackaging. These cells came from woodstove heat recovery systems by YZsystems, or YX or something. (Retailer Link).
These things are less efficient than a Sterling for mechanical conversion, but cheaper and lighter per watt (at the time), and therefore travel better.
I don't know how this balances out per any recent advances. See Seebeck devices

v23_1.jpg

Last edited:

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Stirling engines could be a good choice, if you can get it to work reliably and inexpensively. However, there are some problems that he'd have to address for mass-market vehicles: Operation in high temperature environments, and across wide temperature ranges. A Stirling engine works on heat differential between a hot side and a cold.The cold side stays cold by exhausting heat to the environment. Most of our environments change drastically with the seasons, or with our location as we drive around. You'd have to deal with envoironments from below 0 to over 100. How would you like to be stuck with a non-functioning car because it's just too hot today for your Stirling engine to work? Hard to keep the cold side cold when all you have to work with as 110+ degree air. Exhausting heat from a heat exchanger on a really hot day takes some massive heat exchangers and lots of air flow. While your vehicle is in motion you get free air flow, but that goes away when you stop. Then you need blowers/fans to keep the cold side cold, or it stops working.

It's an interesting concept. If he can get it to work efficiently, reliably, and inexpensively, maybe he could have something. Lots of technical hurdles to jump to get you from a proof of concept to mass production.

ehwatt

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before I even opened the article, my first thought was, "So, did he use a stirling engine?"

Yup, that's what it is. But as a generator for an electric car, which is actually kind of brilliant. Because the stirling is an external-combustion engine, you can operate it with any sort of fuel without risking damage to the engine. So in theory, you could build a wood-fired hybrid electric if you wanted to.

I read about NASAs experiments with stirling cars, and they were trying to operate it like a typical ICE, where the stirling drove the wheels directly. Operating the stirling as a constant-RPM generator makes it far more efficient (and better suited to the stirling cycle). The wonderful thing about this is, because it is a heat-difference engine, it would function even more efficiently in cold weather.

Okay, so I am really taken with this idea.

Now, if we could try this with this stirling Quasiturbine concept, that would be pretty sweet!
Can you imagine the conversation (after a "couple" beers) at the kitchen table that ended with this engine. "Ya know, what would happen if ya . . . ."

Top Bottom