• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2/11/2015 - Tech Talk V55 - Time To Take Notice!

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
It does help to take a step back and look at the bigger picture when reading these messages. Keep in mind that those of us on this forum follow along with this project way more closely than the vast majority of reservation holders who really only stay up to date via these emails so many things that we find rehashed will be new information, or forgotten details, for these vast majority of reservation holders.

Tomg3rd

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This "tech report" hasn't much to do with tech. Nothing, for instance, on engine testing progress, or how they've found a way to increase the rear seat headroom without raising the roof -- and we've heard that seat is already rock hard with no padding! It is a good summary, but I think it's been published mainly to give the people subscribed to that list something to see every so often. Not a crime, just sort of boring for the old hands.

However, Elio should have learned by now to stay away from rhetorical questions -- questions you assume have the answer built into them. For instance, "Why does a car company need a franchised retail network? Why not sell vehicles direct to the consumer?" has a very real answer -- because some state laws (notably Ohio) make damn sure you can't do it that way. That's not the answer Elio has in mind, and it's, ah, disingenuous to say the least to ignore a substantial legal problem as if it were just old fogey thinking.

Also, "Why can’t you order a vehicle with the content you want and have it delivered within 24 hours?" may well have an answer that's pretty embarrassing -- "because you can't transport the cars from Shreveport to marshaling centers and from there to the customer's pick-up point in that amount of time." (too many variables to control, plus the actual loading of the cars onto flatbeds or railcars may be slow, if dollies must be attached to deal with the single rear wheel, then detached on arrival.)

Better writing could have presented the same information in a more organized and less simplistic way. Elio does many things well, but writing fluff pieces ain't one of them!
How will Elio handle safety recalls? I've had too many on my Ford Escape, 1 on my Chevy Cruze, and just got one on my Kia Soul...Got me thinking about the Elio. I guess it would go to the nearest Pep-Boys??

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This "tech report" hasn't much to do with tech. Nothing, for instance, on engine testing progress, or how they've found a way to increase the rear seat headroom without raising the roof -- and we've heard that seat is already rock hard with no padding! It is a good summary, but I think it's been published mainly to give the people subscribed to that list something to see every so often. Not a crime, just sort of boring for the old hands.

However, Elio should have learned by now to stay away from rhetorical questions -- questions you assume have the answer built into them. For instance, "Why does a car company need a franchised retail network? Why not sell vehicles direct to the consumer?" has a very real answer -- because some state laws (notably Ohio) make damn sure you can't do it that way. That's not the answer Elio has in mind, and it's, ah, disingenuous to say the least to ignore a substantial legal problem as if it were just old fogey thinking.

Also, "Why can’t you order a vehicle with the content you want and have it delivered within 24 hours?" may well have an answer that's pretty embarrassing -- "because you can't transport the cars from Shreveport to marshaling centers and from there to the customer's pick-up point in that amount of time." (too many variables to control, plus the actual loading of the cars onto flatbeds or railcars may be slow, if dollies must be attached to deal with the single rear wheel, then detached on arrival.)

Better writing could have presented the same information in a more organized and less simplistic way. Elio does many things well, but writing fluff pieces ain't one of them!
At this point anything said by Elio has been said before. It is all just marketing BS. Like a lackluster marching band waiting for the end of a halftime on a cold autumn day with the home team down 75-7 , Elio has to have "news", even if there isn't a shred of pretense that is is real news.

tonyspumoni

Elio Addict
Reaction score
At this point anything said by Elio has been said before. It is all just marketing BS. Like a lackluster marching band waiting for the end of a halftime on a cold autumn day with the home team down 75-7 , Elio has to have "news", even if there isn't a shred of pretense that is is real news.
Don't misunderstand - Elio will make it. But "good buzz" needs a constant diet of news even if the news isn't really new.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hey always look at the upside the team scored 1 touchdown , with the second have to be played. You just never know.......

Top Bottom