• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

2016 World Series

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Mrh? Indians were in the world series in both '95 and '97. Before that it was '54. Cubs haven't been there since '45. Not sure where you're getting '48...
The 1995 World Series matched the Atlanta Braves against the Cleveland Indians. The Braves won in six games to capture their third World Series championship in franchise history (along with 1914 in Boston and 1957 in Milwaukee), making them the first team to win three crowns in three different cities. This was also Cleveland's first Series appearance in 41 years and marked the resumption of the Fall Classic after the previous year's Series was canceled due to a players' strike.

The Series was also remarkable in that five of the six games were won by one run, including the clinching sixth game, a 1-0 combined one-hitter by Tom Glavine and Mark Wohlers.
*********************************************************************************
The 1997 World Series, the 93rd edition of Major League Baseball's championship series, began on October 18 and ended on October 26. It featured the Cleveland Indians of the American League (playing in their second World Series in three years) and the Florida Marlins of the National League (who had set a record by reaching the World Series in only their fifth season). The Marlins, who were underdogs, capped a stunning season. They defeated the Indians by four games to three to win their first World Series championship, making them the first wild card team to ever win the World Series. The final of Game 7 was decided in extra innings on an Édgar Rentería single. This was also the third (and most recent) time where Game 7 of the World Series went into extra innings, after 1924 and 1991 both of whom involved the Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins franchise.

I have to agree; I wonder were the media is getting confused; when I looked it up yesterday, I found that same information on the Indians; that they hadn't been to a world series in 68 years.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Just found one of those articles I was looking at yesterday; the last time the Indians WON a world series was in 1948; 68 years ago.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Being born and raised in South Chicago I've got to cheer for the Cubs.
If they win, that city will be on a 1 week drunk party and the Mayor will probably give them the keys to the city.

DeltaMike

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok. So here is one take away from this topic that relates to the Elio. How many years did they say it took for the Cubs owner to fully develop a winning team? 5 years, they said. Established game, established team, established location, established (loyal) fans (market). Now, I'm giving Paul what he needs to play his plan and flexibility to do as he needs along the way. That's my take.

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Satan found a parka! I came home from the boat yesterday, so I was dead in bed before 2200 last night. Woke up early and couldn't get back to sleep, so I went out to the garage to unload the car and put a few tools away. After a bit, I fired up the Honda to head over to McD's for coffee (didn't want to wake the wife running the grinder), and had the radio on in the car. As she was handing me my coffee at the driveup window, the news announcer starts in on the Cubs win, and I let out with an entirely involuntary scream! She about dropped the coffee; all I could manage was a red faced "Sorry!", and went off down the drive whooping and hollering! What a way to start the first day home! :peace: :scared:

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver
I picked Cubs in 6. It went Cubs in 7. Congrats to the Cubs and their fans.

What was up with the Cubs catcher David Ross bumping crotches with his teammates after he hit a HR? What the #$%! is THAT about? lol

Was cool that Ben Zobrist was voted MVP of the World Series, as he was on the Royals my fav team when they won it last year.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Bill Murray wants the schools to be closed for the day so the kids can go down to the parade and celebration for the Cubs.
He feels it's the best way they can learn some real world experience about working towards a goal and reaching it.

I agree :thumb:

So what happens to the goat and the curse now?

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only "downside" to this, is that we have tickets to see John Prine at the Chicago Theatre tomorrow night. We had planned on taking Metra downtown around noon tomorrow, going to Navy Pier, and just goofing off in the Loop till show time. I think that we're going to have to rethink the early part, as the victory parade is going to be at 1100 tomorrow.

Top Bottom