• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

3 Wheels - Street Legal - 70 Mpg - $7700 Available Today

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I was a teen back in the stone ages , most people considered Japanese cars to be junk . The scenario played out again the late '80s when S Korea entered the US car market . Say what you will about Chinese cars , they will dominate our roads in my lifetime .
The Japan was blessed with a post war democracy but has fallen into the longest recession in it's history. America without a revival will loose it's way. I'll agree with you about China but not untll America is dumbed down enough to accept the mediocrity we've lapsed into at present. South Korea on the other hand I can't quite figure out. I hate to keep repeating this but has anyone seen how big Samsung is getting? Man it blows my mind.

Talking about China. I just noticed the Bird flu is back in the news and meat companies are complaining. When I remembered the bird flu was caused by a bunch of chickens eating each other's excrement in China. It suddenly dawned on me a strong parallel in the current economy in America. Maybe the doldrums that America has fallen into is the direct result of Liberals (and some Republicans) believing their own lies. Yeah that's it. We now have an economy sickness called the Swine,,,,,I mean the Obummer,,, no maybe we can call it Hillary flu because she is now raising the lying to a fever pitch. Sad that so few remember her White Water Testimony. LOL Old broken record of "I don't recall" Hillary.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The Japan was blessed with a post war democracy but has fallen into the longest recession in it's history. America without a revival will loose it's way. I'll agree with you about China but not untll America is dumbed down enough to accept the mediocrity we've lapsed into at present. South Korea on the other hand I can't quite figure out. I hate to keep repeating this but has anyone seen how big Samsung is getting? Man it blows my mind.
Have you seen that Samsung is really suffering as of late? Its cell phone business in particular.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Have you seen that Samsung is really suffering as of late? Its cell phone business in particular.
Yes, your right? It's just I have severe problems getting my head around any company whose stock price is 1.3 million for just one share. Yet alone the high of 1.5 in March. At the rate Samsung in growing cellphones can be a lost leader. Did you see that Google just plunked down a cool 4 billion for AOL? Bet you didn't know Samsung owns Google. If Google is becoming a juggernaut in computers and networking what does that mean for Samsung. Cellphones smellphones. Who cares lets you and I pitch in and buy one share while the price is down. LOL I just bought a Samsung refrigerator. LOL

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Last edited:

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's a possibility. Which is a good reason to hope Sen. Vitter's Autocycle Safety Act gets through Congress. It makes sure the safety rules are there before garbage gets imported.

THE CHINESE CARS WOULD BE HERE ALREADY IF THEY COULD MEET OUT CRASH STANDARDS .
YOU CAN WATCH SLOW MOTION DESTRUCTION OF ALL KINDS OF VEHICLES ON YOU-TUBE .

WORLD STANDARDS ARE PRETTY GOOD FOR AMERICAN , EUROPEAN & JAPANESE CARS .
WHEN THE RUN THE CHINESE CARS INTO THE WALL , THEY FOLD UP LIKE A CARDBOARD BOX .

I SAW ONE THAT WAS SO BAD THAT THEY HAD TO DISMANTLE THE CRASH DUMMIES AND PULL
THEM OUT IN PIECES !

I AM VERY THANKFUL THAT ELIO IS BEING DESIGNED TO MODERN SAFETY STANDARDS !

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I didn't see a note in the dialog, but this car body was marketed as the Zap Zebra a few years back. Licensed as a less than 35mph urban vehicle in AZ.

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/CC-41-038-800.jpg

I definitely would not ever drive faster in it than 35 in it. It's very top heavy for a 1F2R trike. It gets a little safer as you load up the back (if weight kept low) , like David says best as a loaded truck and don't hit anything at any speed over 5mph, ever.

Reid3400

Elio Addict
Reaction score
THE CHINESE CARS WOULD BE HERE ALREADY IF THEY COULD MEET OUT CRASH STANDARDS .
YOU CAN WATCH SLOW MOTION DESTRUCTION OF ALL KINDS OF VEHICLES ON YOU-TUBE .

WORLD STANDARDS ARE PRETTY GOOD FOR AMERICAN , EUROPEAN & JAPANESE CARS .
WHEN THE RUN THE CHINESE CARS INTO THE WALL , THEY FOLD UP LIKE A CARDBOARD BOX .

I SAW ONE THAT WAS SO BAD THAT THEY HAD TO DISMANTLE THE CRASH DUMMIES AND PULL
THEM OUT IN PIECES !

I AM VERY THANKFUL THAT ELIO IS BEING DESIGNED TO MODERN SAFETY STANDARDS !

How do "crash standards" relate to an Elio? Is is a motorcycle or is it not? Where can I find US crash standards for a motorcycle? Someone pointed out to me that the NHTSA is responsible for "vehicle" crash standards. So I checked and the response was that the NHTSA "never heard of the Elio."
The NHTSA is very involved in motorcycle helmets, rider training, mororcycle accident investigatiion, impaired motocycle riders, but have no crash test programs or motorcycle standards regulations other than brakes. If you know different, please site source of information?

People are correct about the Chinese exporting junk when it comes to electric bikes and scooters. BUT, they have very strick regulations on Domestic sales of these same electric rides. They must function for one year, or be repaired or replaced if they fail, at the expense of the retailer. I have had one 48V $700 battery pack fail and to my surprise they replaced it from my pictures and description and I paid the $150 freight. They are now exporting a 2F1R to all of Asia and Europe. If they ever progress to FWD instead of 1/2 a motorcycle at the rear, there will be some serious competition to Elio. This assumes Elio can make a vehicle.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
you are correct that there aren't national crash standards for a motorcycle .... it has been reported that when Paul first began development of an Elio he recognize that his trike was neither an automobile or motorcycle .... hence the company's very successful movement to create a subset within the motorcycle class, that being an autocycle .... it was his choice to design and build his product so as to meet some pretty high crash test standards .... again, those standards have been self imposed .... I can see EM's movement in this area eventually becoming a federal standard for the class

WilliamH

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How do "crash standards" relate to an Elio? Is is a motorcycle or is it not? Where can I find US crash standards for a motorcycle? Someone pointed out to me that the NHTSA is responsible for "vehicle" crash standards. So I checked and the response was that the NHTSA "never heard of the Elio."
The NHTSA is very involved in motorcycle helmets, rider training, mororcycle accident investigatiion, impaired motocycle riders, but have no crash test programs or motorcycle standards regulations other than brakes. If you know different, please site source of information?

People are correct about the Chinese exporting junk when it comes to electric bikes and scooters. BUT, they have very strick regulations on Domestic sales of these same electric rides. They must function for one year, or be repaired or replaced if they fail, at the expense of the retailer. I have had one 48V $700 battery pack fail and to my surprise they replaced it from my pictures and description and I paid the $150 freight. They are now exporting a 2F1R to all of Asia and Europe. If they ever progress to FWD instead of 1/2 a motorcycle at the rear, there will be some serious competition to Elio. This assumes Elio can make a vehicle.

You may have missed the legislation introduced by Senator Vitter from Louisiana. SB 685.
Not passed yet. But at least someone is trying.
Sometimes it is better to act proactively than to wait for something to happen then react.

Top Bottom