• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/25/2014 Tech Talk - Focus Turns To The Cylinder Head

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snick, prepare for a beating...your morale needs to improve, lol. I'd bet they are a lot closer to a finished product than you might think, and I'm sure the camshaft and other associated parts are in the works as well. It would indeed take years if they only did one part at a time. But I'm thinking they are doling out information one piece at a time.

Thank you sir! May I have another? LOL.

We can hope, or we could have...you know...facts.

Those pesky things!

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thank you sir! May I have another? LOL.

We can hope, or we could have...you know...facts.

Those pesky things!
You don't have any more facts than the rest of us, it just happens that you're a glass is empty kinda person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Maybe its a revised version? It would be nice to see a fully machined block and head. Or even better a complete assembled engine.
Just wait
With the hand written date, still very early stuff. But with IAV's expertise, I would think that it's probably near net and they're finally comfortable enough with it to commit it to metal.
I'm guessing here, but the A in the casting number is likely the revision level. What we don't know is if A is the original, or if the original was Rev _.

I'm with you guys. Machined parts will get my interest up more.

Castings are the big investment tooling wise though, so it's good to see.

I'd bet Snick's time line doesn't hold water, and I wouldn't bet that the block and head we've seen aren't already machined, assembled and in testing.
Not yet ... but within a month or two is my guess.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree! We also know that this motor (engine) has been designed to use a "timing chain" instead of a belt, as Paul explained "for engine longevity". So I ask myself, would EM overlook something like "cam bearings?" All we can see in the pics is a "casting" that could VERY EASILY be machined for "bearing inserts".
We just have to wait and see. :)

Based on what we have been told I am guessing that the cam bearings will be installed directly into the cover. This eliminates the need for individual bearing caps cutting down on the total number of parts. This would also mean the valve cover is truly an integral mechanical part of this engine.

Top Bottom