• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/25/2014 Tech Talk - Focus Turns To The Cylinder Head

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
True, the lower half would also be damaged, which I assume would be the head. I just remember the Vegas, and this did happen, especially to us poor guys who had to buy them used. Although the Vega had top caps if I remember right, it was the lower halves that ruined it.

MMMM, My 74 Vega sedan delivery had a 327 in it,,,my biggest problem was tires..though I did manage to punch a hole in the oil pan on a deep pot hole. Thanks to an oil pressure switch that shut off power, the only damage was the pan.

Last edited:

Hog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That was the ultimate fix for the Vega, which I really liked as a car, just a poor engine. 916b1e980a7c683112e318a9ba750420.jpg

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MMMM, My 74 Vega sedan delivery had a 327 in it,,,my biggest problem was tires..though I did manage to punch a hole in the oil pan on a deep pot hole. Thanks to an oil pressure switch that shut off power, the only damage the as pan.
Must have been a beast!, I got a 1981 Rx7 with a 302 in it parked in my driveway. It's a little frightening..
IMG_0390.JPG

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Must have been a beast!, I got a 1981 Rx7 with a 302 in it parked in my driveway. It's a little frightening..
View attachment 1615

I have an 86 RX_7 with a chevy 350 & 5spd,,,,and an 83 with a 302 and AOD.. I like your 5.0 stickers ,,if I ever get the 83 done, I'll have to stick some on it..

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have an 86 RX_7 with a chevy 350 & 5spd,,,,and an 83 with a 302 and AOD.. I like your 5.0 stickers ,,if I ever get the 83 done, I'll have to stick some on it..
I get a lot of hate from the Youtube crowd, apparently its sacrilege to remove the holy Wankel motor. And people say we have ruined the balance of the car. I point out that its a solid axle car from the early 80's, it was never really a road huger when it was new anyway. Sounds like you will have the same space issue when you get your Elio.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
But I'm thinking they are doling out information one piece at a time.

Using IAV shows a lot of insider know-how, Paul didn't spend 30 years in Auto Engineering & starting his own controls business without the ability to see long range.
The guts of this motor, I'll bet a dollar come Sunday, are a mostly off-the-shelf & factored into the design.They aren't reinventing the wheel just adapting it to fit the mileage model........
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGptRGLNa8w5GfKk1afPfVoWEZX6BDVqygaRhSgPWIyrdhJbrJcoXWlA.jpg

Last edited:

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Using IAV shows a lot of insider know-how, Paul didn't spend 30 years in Auto Engineering & starting his own controls business without the ability to see long range.
The guts of this motor, I'll bet a dollar come Sunday, are a mostly off-the-shelf & factored into the design.They aren't reinventing the wheel just adapting it to fit the mileage model........
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGptRGLNa8w5GfKk1afPfVoWEZX6BDVqygaRhSgPWIyrdhJbrJcoXWlA.jpg

I agree! We also know that this motor (engine) has been designed to use a "timing chain" instead of a belt, as Paul explained "for engine longevity". So I ask myself, would EM overlook something like "cam bearings?" All we can see in the pics is a "casting" that could VERY EASILY be machined for "bearing inserts".
We just have to wait and see. :)

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I really, really appreciate Elio's showing this raw cylinder head off to the world .... flash and all. At this point, I'd say they have the confidence to put their cards on the table, and WE in turn can have the confidence in the company and its product ended to bring this car successfully to market. Well, done, Elio.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
With the hand written date, still very early stuff. But with IAV's expertise, I would think that it's probably near net and they're finally comfortable enough with it to commit it to metal.
Jerome Vassallo told me last week ago that they were tweaking the head design ... full engine to follow shortly.

Top Bottom