• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

6/8/15 - Pr Newswire - P5 Will Include Iav Engine And Aisin Tranny

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only jig they'll need is for the frame. If the frame is modeled (and it most certainly is), then the jig can be easily modeled around the frame, including accurate tolerances (pick a decimal point below zero, mine goes to nanometers), including the order the structural parts need to be loaded. They'll probably have a human do the tack welding, and leave the finish welding to robots. All this, including the robot's arm movements can be done "Virtually" and checked for errors before a single spark flies. Everything else on the Elio is either bolted or glued on and requires minimal tooling (if any).

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To make our dream affordable, they need to be Mass produced. There is no start up slow to make this work. Slow is hand built and expensive. Not a bad thing, just not what I am waiting for.

Jeff Porter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Norton, KS; halfway between Kansas City and Denver

Thanks for the link Eddie!

"Paul Elio told TTAC the P5 will also have revised front end styling that will be revealed later this week... Elio did say the P5 would be introduced within the next few months."

Hmmm, we'll see... ;)

"Now, people are complaining that smaller investors won’t be able to get in on the ground floor." Has anyone seen/heard such complaining?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The only jig they'll need is for the frame. If the frame is modeled (and it most certainly is), then the jig can be easily modeled around the frame, including accurate tolerances (pick a decimal point below zero, mine goes to nanometers), including the order the structural parts need to be loaded. They'll probably have a human do the tack welding, and leave the finish welding to robots. All this, including the robot's arm movements can be done "Virtually" and checked for errors before a single spark flies. Everything else on the Elio is either bolted or glued on and requires minimal tooling (if any).
The body panels will probably be the biggest pain to get right... Their jigs will need tooling just as much as the frame jigs. I kind of doubt they'll have any robotics involved in building those frames as the prototype shop they are using is all manual. (well, almost all manual)

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If they're going to start assembly of 30 "pre-production" models for testing in the next few months, they'd better get hot. That pre-production phase can offer a lot of opportunities for failure, change, modification, and re-mans that are an integral but necessary part of the transition from design to production. However it shakes out, I'm glad to see at last a glimmer of hope for EM to begin moving forward after a 3½ month stall.

Top Bottom